Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mustang GT 8.8" differential

http://capebreton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-v...AdIdZ255544677

1987 Mustang GT 8.8" traction lock differential. Complete stock assembly with new Ford racing M-4700-B clutch kit. Has quad shock mounts and frame brackets. Extra Ford 8.8" 3.55 ratio gearset. Also have rear Gt wheels, driveshaft and rear stabilizer bar. Very good condition. Phone 535-3303.

I think these are 28 spline but I can't be sure. If so, he's got everything I need except axles/bearings/seals. I think.

Assuming it's 28 spline, could I use the diff? I know the ring and pinion will work but if the diff is useless to me I won't bother.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

he's quick, replied to me already. It's 28 spline.

the axle housing/etc is prettymuch useless to me, no? i seem to recall someone saying they're too narrow for a panther.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

EVERYTHING is 400 bucks. Not even bad.

rebuilt trac lok
      3.55 gear set (one installed, one extra)
      pair of mustang gt wheels (probably 4 lug...blech)
      driveshaft
      rear sway bar

I'll have to figure out how to unload the stuff I don't need but Mustang guys are a dime a dozen.

When I get my tax return I'm buying all of this stuff.
      sigpic

Comment

moving gears from one diff to another requires all that adjusting and tweaking and shimming and ... yeah. too bad you can't just swap the whole pumpkin from one axle to another... or can you?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
          moving gears from one diff to another requires all that adjusting and tweaking and shimming and ... yeah. too bad you can't just swap the whole pumpkin from one axle to another... or can you?
          If it's possible, I will. That would be ideal.
          sigpic

Comment

No the 8.8 does not have that luxury like the 9"

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
            Big plans

Comment

CURSES.

I wouldn't be doing the work myself (measuring, installing shims etc) but would it be a shit ton more work to remove the guts from the Mustang 8.8 and install in my panther 8.8 than it would be to install all new parts in my panther 8.8?

The price is great and the parts are together so it would be convenient to buy this. If it would cost me a shitload more to have this done I won't bother with it.
              sigpic

Comment

it's not hard to remove the stuff. 10 minutes or so if the axle is out of the car. Nothing but the gears and TL are interchangable. I think for 400 bucks you can buy a new gears, a new TL, and an install kit...
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

thanks for the info. if i can afford it i will take it all, because i'm getting some extra stuff i can either use or unload. the extra 3.55 set would be nice in my 95. all i'll really need to get besides this is a set of axle shafts and brake parts.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X