Rear window defroster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear window defroster

When I bought my wagon it had the rear window defroster lines in the window. But there was no switch on the control panel. Bought one from eBay and installed, but no workie. Could it be the wiring is incomplete? The plug was there to plug the switch into.

Now they sent me another, but it is from a differnet year and have to check if it will plug in at all.

Anyone know how that wiring works?
    2000 Grand Marquis LS
    2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
    1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
    Mercury Owners Group member
    Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

i've never had the rear glass on a wagon out, so i don't know what exactly it looks like behind the panel, but there might be something unplugged in the tailgate that you have to plug in
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

There are some pretty heavy duty wires running into the tailgate. Could be for the window. Have to check for power at the switch and see if it is bad
      2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Is there a fuse for it that might not be present? You'd also want to check for power at the rear glass itself.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

From what I see in my electric manual it has a fuse link somewhere, have to check it.
          2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

The rear defrost has its own fuse link coming off of the starter solenoid, its a big yeallow wire and should be in a bundle with 2 other yellow wires.
            if its setup like my 85 vic, it will be the one with the 16ga black fuse link.
            I was about to tell you where the connctor for the defrost is in the trunk, but then I remembered you have a wagon!

Im having trouble with my defrost myself... Im hoping its just the switch, becuase you have to fiddle with it a bit to get it to come on and stay on, and sometimes it shuts off before its done.
            Any tips to replace it?
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
            X