Cheap filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap filter

Looking for some sort of replacement for the stock filter box and intake tube. Doesn't have to be fancy, just something that'll do the job for the time being and is cheapcheapcheap. Driving around with an open throttle body isn't going to work, and the stock box doesn't jive with my setup anymore due to its large size.

2nd hand coldair off craigslist?

Comment

SEFI box body, I presume?

Eons ago, I was able to find an offbrand K&N-style cone filter on ebay for about $26. Similar items are now sold at AutoZone for $20ish (IIRC). I ended up adapting a shower drain for a connector stub and hooked the cone filter to the stock rubber elbow.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Oops, yeah, SEFI box. Sorry about that.

Comment

Always good to clarify, since for some of us electronicalness doesn't exist anymore, and still others are running around in those newfangled Modular-powered cars.

Comment

Could go with a whale style tube with an whale air box. Takes the same filter and everything. That would be cheap

Comment

And I thought you were dead!
              Last edited by Lincolnmania; 03-28-2011, 09:50 PM.

Comment

ever see the redneck intake I built? I used 3 inch gas vent adjustable angle pipe (2) and some cheap ass cone filter and a crap ton of duck tape when I got the angles all figured out. had to trim the outer layer off the end of the 2nd gas vent pipe to allow connecting to the 3x4 PVC to the filter... but it worked.
                Attached Files

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                  ever see the redneck intake I built? I used 3 inch gas vent adjustable angle pipe (2) and some cheap ass cone filter and a crap ton of duck tape when I got the angles all figured out. had to trim the outer layer off the end of the 2nd gas vent pipe to allow connecting to the 3x4 PVC to the filter... but it worked.
                  When I did that I bought some 3" exhaust tubing and kept the stock rubber elbow. Though at some point I "upgraded" that to a clamp-on drain elbow (thought that was going to gain me, what, 0.005hp on the ol' lowpo?).

Comment

I have the stock elbow on my throttle body and a piece of 3" exhuast pipe with a cone filter from autozone on the end. I will post pics tomorrow. Or since I assume you're still running speed density, you can get a cone filter from autozone and mount it directly on the throttle body. That's what I ran on my old 89. Sure it may be hot being right over the exhaust and next to the engine, but it works and it's cheap since all you need is a filter.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                    Big plans

Comment

You can have have my old one for 10 bones + shipping, its one of those cheap universal deals, puts the filter about over the PS pump
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
                        I have the stock elbow on my throttle body and a piece of 3" exhuast pipe with a cone filter from autozone on the end. I will post pics tomorrow. Or since I assume you're still running speed density, you can get a cone filter from autozone and mount it directly on the throttle body. That's what I ran on my old 89. Sure it may be hot being right over the exhaust and next to the engine, but it works and it's cheap since all you need is a filter.
                        I ended up buyng a cheapo cone filter on ebay. I'll probably get some 3" pipe and do exactly this.

Thanks for the posts everybody.

Comment

please post results man, i would also like to ditch the sefi airbox and would like to keep the shroud/coolant/washer tank stock if possible.

pics would be awesome when you're done!
                          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Nick...

I have some clear, thin wall PVC that you might be able to use. I also probably have some 3" SCH 40 PVC laying around. Both of those may have too large of an OD, though. I have a stick of 3" exhaust pipe laying around too.

Maybe you already have some, or maybe these ideas are too 'hacked' for what you're planning. Either way, let me know.
                            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                            X