Questions regarding intakes & ecm upgrades for an 86 vic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions regarding intakes & ecm upgrades for an 86 vic

I have an 86 Crown Vic ltd, and I'm planning to do the HO mod to it in the future. Only thing is i wanted to go with a gt 40 cobra intake & some gt40x heads instead of the normal HO intake & E7 heads.

So i had a couple of questions that i was hoping you guys could help me with.

Can you use a modified crown vic egr spacer with a gt40 intake and a HO throttle body? Or do you absolutely have to use the 1st gen lightning spacer.

Can i just bolt on a cobra throttle body instead of a normal HO throttle body or do i have to modify things beyond the linkage arms? What kind of spacer would i have to use then?

When it comes to the ecm, since it's an auto car i'd assume i have to use an auto ecm for everything to work fine right?

Also i've heard the auto computers past 89-93 are a good upgrade, can i use one on my 86 vic? Or am i stuck with an ecm from 87-88?

Sorry if these questions seem stupid, i'm pretty new to all this.

Originally posted by Sirus View Post
    I have an 86 Crown Vic ltd, and I'm planning to do the HO mod to it in the future. Only thing is i wanted to go with a gt 40 cobra intake & some gt40x heads instead of the normal HO intake & E7 heads.

So i had a couple of questions that i was hoping you guys could help me with.

Can you use a modified crown vic egr spacer with a gt40 intake and a HO throttle body? Or do you absolutely have to use the 1st gen lightning spacer.

Cannot use a bored panther spacer. It will not seal properly. You do not have to use a lightening spacer either as you can modify a Mustang EGR spacer to work..I say modify because the provisions for mounting the tv cable/accelerator cable bracket wont be there. Also If you are using a true cobra intake the egr spacer is built into the plenum...I know you probably arent but you did mention that in the beginning

Can i just bolt on a cobra throttle body instead of a normal HO throttle body or do i have to modify things beyond the linkage arms? What kind of spacer would i have to use then?

You should use a spacer that is close in size to the throttle body so everything will seal. You need to swap the arm off of your one year only 86 stock tb to whatever tb you are using

When it comes to the ecm, since it's an auto car i'd assume i have to use an auto ecm for everything to work fine right?

Makes sense

Also i've heard the auto computers past 89-93 are a good upgrade, can i use one on my 86 vic? Or am i stuck with an ecm from 87-88?

Sorry if these questions seem stupid, i'm pretty new to all this.

I answered what I was fairly certain on in bold and italics...
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thank you for responding.

I was thinking of grabbing this intake. Will it have the built in spacer?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-9424-Z51/
      Last edited by Sirus; 04-05-2011, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Yes those have the built in spacers which will make things difficult for you to figure out a way to hook up your tv cable/gas cable bracket.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

skip the GT40X and go to something like an AFR 165 or Trick Flow 170 head. Far better value for money by all accounts. D'Souza Racing is fairly local to you and has good prices on Trick Flow stuff.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

In response to your spacer, unless you want to mod the crap out of linkages, get either a Lightning 351 EGR spacer, or Bore out a Mustang spacer and fabricate a bracket to attach your stock bracket to the Mustang spacer.
            I'm not sure about the Cobra intake, I don't think anyone has ever tried it, but it would be cool if someone made it work.

Comment

I am not sure that intake would flip correctly.... But, if you wanted to get creative, you could use a throttle and TV cable from a Mark 7 and mount it.
              2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
              89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
              88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                skip the GT40X and go to something like an AFR 165 or Trick Flow 170 head. Far better value for money by all accounts. D'Souza Racing is fairly local to you and has good prices on Trick Flow stuff.
                Thanks for the tip, i'll give them a look.

86VickyLX "I'm not sure about the Cobra intake, I don't think anyone has ever tried it, but it would be cool if someone made it work. "

Looks like i picked the wrong intake to start with then. Do most aftermarket intakes work with the vic?
                Last edited by Sirus; 04-06-2011, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Unless you want to go aftermarket, just use Explorer intakes.
                  2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                  2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                  2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                  1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

could always do what Scottmang did to a lincoln... the owner of said Lincoln Town Car wanted engine put in with the Exploder accessories all intact like under the hood of a Exploder... i think it was all set up with the upper and stuff reversed from what we see under hood of our cars... a/c and throttle cables and stuff for accelerator and all that was swapped out to make the mod work since the throttlebody pointed to the passenger side compared to ours facing driver side
                    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

The intake still faced the stock direction on that car in order to clear the AC plumbing and to not force a relocation of the battery. It was quite a messy job TBH. To do that again, I think relocating the battery and totally rethinking the AC plumbing would be required in order to not have it be so messy.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The cobra intake will reverse just fine. The only issue I see is the bracket. I would think if you just fab up a bracket to allow you to use the stock bracket you should have no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                          The cobra intake will reverse just fine. The only issue I see is the bracket. I would think if you just fab up a bracket to allow you to use the stock bracket you should have no problem.
                          Hmm, i'll look into it, but the idea of running the top end kit from trick flow is looking more & more appealing.

Comment

The trick flow one sucks is kinda meh, it's big and it's a real tight fit against the distributor.

Comment

Well the problem i have is that at the end of all the aftermarket parts & tuning, i want to see 350-375 horse and a decent gain in torque from this Vic. Being as inexperienced as i am, i don't quite know what parts will get me there.

Comment

Working...
                              X