Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 speed

Yes, I been thinking about this.

I know some dude over on CVN did a real nice writeup, so I gave it a gander. Doesn't look too hard, either.

Perhaps I should do this later on, once I get my other projects out of the way? Then I'll really have a new Grand Marquis GT
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

No balls if you don't. You referring to the Canadian guy who, IIRC, has also since done a 5.4 swap?
    1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

I don't know about an 09, but it's not too bad on a 95.

Ususally the worst bit of a 5 speed swap, is getting the clutch pedal in, and set up properly.
      Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
      AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
      Open/Lock/Ratio #
      -----------------------
      G / H / 2.26
      B / C / 2.47
      8 / M / 2.73
      7 / - / 3.07
      Y / Z / 3.08
      4 / D / 3.42
      F / R / 3.45
      5 / E / 3.27
      6 / W / 3.73
      2 / K / 3.55
      A / - / 3.63
      J / - / 3.85

Comment

having seen that 5.4 5speed swap in person, go for it. That thing is super cool.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
          having seen that 5.4 5speed swap in person, go for it. That thing is super cool.
          Ya it is, I even raced him! (and lost obviously)
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Do it!!!!
            1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
            2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
            sigpic

Comment

Personally...

I'd leave the car alone. Its a reliable daily driver, and there is alot to be said for that. I know we're all into modifying cars and such here, but I have really grown to appreciate a daily driver that is simply 'unfooled around with'.

If the transmission took a dump or something, I could maybe see it; but not for an otherwise perfectly functioning driver.
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Good point. There is a reason my daily go-to-work vehicle is absolutely dead stock. It starts and goes every morning.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yea i would leave it alone till the trans shits the bed

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

my DD is not bone stock because of crap rotting off of it. First the air box snorkel... then the crossover pipe for the air injection to the cats... then the muffler detonated...

etc etc...

but it is still bone stock as far as the engine proper is concerned. Though if 87CrownVic doesn't buy the HO intake stuff off me... I may spend the time one weekend to load up mine with it. re-pinning the computer harness for the injectors and all since I don't have an HO cam (or the desire to do that much work).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                      my DD is not bone stock because of crap rotting off of it. First the air box snorkel... then the crossover pipe for the air injection to the cats... then the muffler detonated...

etc etc...

but it is still bone stock as far as the engine proper is concerned. Though if 87CrownVic doesn't buy the HO intake stuff off me... I may spend the time one weekend to load up mine with it. re-pinning the computer harness for the injectors and all since I don't have an HO cam (or the desire to do that much work).
                      Sorry about off topic buy why would you repin the computer harness? Lol. You'd only do that if you had an HO cam and didn't get an HO computer.

Comment

I have the HO intake, TB, bored egr spacer, computer and injectors but not the HO cam. So I'd have to make the HO computer compatible with the lopo firing order.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

i got a couple exploder cams

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                            I have the HO intake, TB, bored egr spacer, computer and injectors but not the HO cam. So I'd have to make the HO computer compatible with the lopo firing order.
                            And now the adaptive learning strategy applies its readings to the wrong banks, that's why I left mine alone. My current DD, the CV, is extensively modified. Of course my truck which is the DD stays stockish for the reasons mentioned above, but DD'ing a modded car is no problem if you have a backup for the downtime and you do the work properly. There's a 4L80E swap and a Whipple waiting to go on the truck in the future, it's being optimized for its only reason for existing: towing.
                            1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Crownvicman289 View Post
                              And now the adaptive learning strategy applies its readings to the wrong banks, that's why I left mine alone. My current DD, the CV, is extensively modified. Of course my truck which is the DD stays stockish for the reasons mentioned above, but DD'ing a modded car is no problem if you have a backup for the downtime and you do the work properly. There's a 4L80E swap and a Whipple waiting to go on the truck in the future, it's being optimized for its only reason for existing: towing.
                              seriously?

bah. ok... in that case... If 87Crown Vic doesn't buy the stuff... just sell it. It's really not worth the hassle for me to pull the engine unless something else is replacing it.

Comment

Working...
                              X