Mass Air Swap, Quick ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mass Air Swap, Quick ?'s

Ok, so it's finally time to bring the Wagon out of hibernation, but before I do I'd like to get the mass air swap done. I, like a few of you guys have the same hesitation/popping/idle issues ect... that some cars seem to get when they stay SD. I'm positive my issue is the cam though. The engine is nothing super special, stock bottom end, Explorer Intakes, cleaned up E7's, and a Crane Powermax 2020 cam.

Now I've read pretty much all the articles I could find, and it seems pretty straight forward. My questions are pretty much, what MAF to use. I know the stock 89-93 Mustang MAF's are only 55mm. I doubt that will be an issue for my engine, but I'd like to double check. Cross referencing the part #'s lead me to any of these cars should have the MAF I need:

1993-1989 Ford Mustang
    Application Data: 5.0 Liters

1995-1991 Ford Taurus
    Application Data: 3.8 Liters

1995-1994 Ford Taurus
    Application Data: Exc. 3.8 Liters and Gasoline and SHO

1993-1991 Ford Taurus
    Application Data: Exc. 3.8 Liters and SHO

1992-1989
    Ford Taurus
    Application Data: 3.0 Liters and SHO

1993-1993 Ford Thunderbird
    Application Data: LX

1992-1991 Ford Thunderbird
    Application Data: Exc. SC

1994-1991 Lincoln Continental
    Application Data: ALL

1993-1991 Mercury Cougar
    Application Data: ALL

1990-1990 Mercury Cougar
    Application Data: Exc. Supercharger

1995-1991 Mercury Sable
    Application Data: 3.8 Liters

Also, computer wise, any of these should be the right ones. Right?

A9M 5.0 89-93 Mustang MAF / Auto
    A9P 5.0 89-93 Mustang MAF / Auto
    C3W 5.0 89-93 Mustang MAF / Auto
    C3W1 5.0 89-93 Mustang MAF / Auto
    A9T 5.0 89-93 Mustang MAF / Auto

Other than the computer and MAF itself I just need the harness really. Has anyone ordered anything from these guys, http://www.mass-air.com/Products.htm? Although I could probably make my own harness for a lot cheaper than theirs. Anything else I'm missing? I'm headed to the JY this weekend so I'm hoping I can find most of what I'll need (probably not the computer though, anyone have one they'd like to sell?) Thanks guys.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

1994-5 Ford Thunderbird 4.6
    Might be the cam.

How does it run if you let it idle? I think I told you to try that before. Let it idle, let it warm up, if the idle drops down and starts to idle rough, and then come back up and idle fine. You have the same problem as me/tom.

Comment

you forgot the A9L which is the desierable computer
      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
        1994-5 Ford Thunderbird 4.6
        Might be the cam.

How does it run if you let it idle? I think I told you to try that before. Let it idle, let it warm up, if the idle drops down and starts to idle rough, and then come back up and idle fine. You have the same problem as me/tom.
        That's pretty much what it does. It's odd though, because let's say for instance were at the track, with me always power braking it, sometimes it will leave the line squealing the tires, where other times, it leaves the line falling flat on it's face. With absolutely no change in anything.

@ Zoomie, the A9L, at least according to FFI, is for a manual. Why is that better?
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

didnt say it was better just you forgot it lol but the A9P apparently has more agressive timing tables, and sounds like the way to go.

Comment

It's not, you'd want the A9P.

will it drive fine then if you let it idle?

Comment

I have an A9M. The C3 brains are California I believe, not highly desirable and not very common anyway.

I'm told that the 94-95 Mustang MAF is a direct swap, and 70mm. Not sure if those are hose to hose connection, or hose to flange. Functionally the ECM could give a crap about that, but it will matter to you depending what you want to do for an air filter. I'm actually running a 94ish Grand Marquis MAF housing and a 95 Tbird MAF electronics on my car. It runs fine for me, but its never been on a wideband to confirm that its actually how it ought to be.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yep, I believe the V6 MAF's are the same. You can also use a 91-93 T-bird MAF and a 92-94 CV/GM/TC MAF. They're all 70mm and much less of a buttplug, I'll be scouring the internets for a cheap A9L for the next 7 months so the Exploder engine swap goes smoothly.
                1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                  It's not, you'd want the A9P.

will it drive fine then if you let it idle?
                  I'm not sure, the thing has only moved about 3ft in the last 6 months.

I'll have to see what's in the yard this weekend. There's usually a couple 92-94 panthers, so hopefully I can grab a MAF off one of those. Long as the computer will play along with it then I should be good then.

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                    I'm not sure, the thing has only moved about 3ft in the last 6 months.

I'll have to see what's in the yard this weekend. There's usually a couple 92-94 panthers, so hopefully I can grab a MAF off one of those. Long as the computer will play along with it then I should be good then.
                    It didn't with mine. Or Thains. But who knows. If you find a Thunderbird 94-95 4.6 one, pull that too. If you find a couple, pull one for me!

Comment

I have the 94-95 5.0 70mm mass air meter on mine and it is hose to hose. 4 inch inlet and 3 inch outlet.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                      Big plans

Comment

The actual electronic unit can be removed from it's housing with a T20(ish) security torx bit (the ones with the hole in the middle). And then it can be swapped into any setup that allows one of those sensors to fit. Since the dimensions are the same, at least for the early ones I'm sure, the 4 wire ones. Not that 6 wire stuff. Don't know what that's about

Comment

Just keep in mind that the electronics are matched to the housing and to the air cleaner assembly to provide a specific transfer function. By all rights, my mix and match BS should not work, yet it somehow does. When its not mixed and matched, it runs horrible with an air filter, but fine without one. I've never tried driving it with the mixup bs and no air filter but I expect it might run funny.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

@ Pantera if you need a MAf i have one off a 94 Tc you can have, just buy me a doctor pepper for payment. comes with air box too if you need it.

Comment

Update, I swapped in a 92+ airbox, so I'll try a 92-94 vic/gm MAF since those are plentiful. Hopefully it will work fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X