TV pressure, how much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV pressure, how much?

What should the gauge read with the TV cable unhooked on the transmission? I tried that and the pressure was 85psi, I suppose that is too much (= something wrong in transmission). Thank you
    sigpic

yeah... should be ZERO.
    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
      yeah... should be ZERO.
      I do not think so.. shop manual says: "If it is necessary to drive vehicle before servicing or resetting cable, disconnect the cable at the transmission lever. TV pressure will now be near maximum, allowing light throttle operation". Unfortunately no idea what is the maximum.
      sigpic

Comment

Sounds like terrible advice to me. Who was this manual written by?
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Iffy View Post
          What should the gauge read with the TV cable unhooked on the transmission? I tried that and the pressure was 85psi, I suppose that is too much (= something wrong in transmission). Thank you
          maybe I mis-understood what you are asking, but with the TV cable disconnected from the transmission, there should be ZERO pressure at the TV port when a gauge is connected.

If you have pressure at the port with the cable Dis-connected, something is wrong.

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
            Sounds like terrible advice to me. Who was this manual written by?
            FORD motor company? )
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
              maybe I mis-understood what you are asking, but with the TV cable disconnected from the transmission, there should be ZERO pressure at the TV port when a gauge is connected.

If you have pressure at the port with the cable Dis-connected, something is wrong.
              I believe that the language trouble will be definetelly on my side There is spring in the transmission which shall ensure that after disconnection of the cable the TV pressure will not be zero (that will kill the transmission). When you disconnect the cable under the throtle body (0 TV pressure) it is something else than when you disconnect the cable on the throttle lever (near maximum TV pressure).
              sigpic

Comment

Supposedly models that came with TV rods default to full pressure. Don't suppose you just put in a new transmission that was originally in a rod-equipped model?

SFAIK, all cable models default to zero, which is why so many people report killing their AOD by driving with a bad TV-cable grommet on the throttle lever.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Iffy View Post
                  There is spring in the transmission which shall ensure that after disconnection of the cable the TV pressure will not be zero (that will kill the transmission). When you disconnect the cable under the throtle body (0 TV pressure) it is something else than when you disconnect the cable on the throttle lever (near maximum TV pressure).
                  i've heard this too, i've also heard the fail safe usually fails.

are you able to set the pressure to spec with it hooked up? if so i wouldn't worry about what it says when it's not.
                  Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by cld783 View Post
                    i've heard this too, i've also heard the fail safe usually fails.

are you able to set the pressure to spec with it hooked up? if so i wouldn't worry about what it says when it's not.
                    No. That is the problem. I can not get under 35psi at idle - it shifts later and hard and I believe that is not good for the car (but again -how could HIGH TV pressure damage the tranny?). Unfortunately something is wrong inside the tranny but just to be sure I wanted to know whether the pressure with disconnected cable is ok or not (according to the shop manual it shall be near maximum, is 85psi near maximum or is it much more than maximum?).

And it is really not the same when the nylon grommet fails and when the cable at the lever on tranny is disconnected - I have tried it.

Of course it is cable controlled model.
                    sigpic

Comment

lets double check the obvious... Make sure you are checking the TV pressure correctly and have the gauge hooked up to the TV port (there is more than one port on the side of the transmission) make sure the TV cable and linkage are installed correctly on the transmission (at both ends). You may want to pull the pan back off and make sure the manual valve and TV valve are seated correctly with the valve body and aligned with the levers in the transmission. also make sure the TV turn spring is installed and working correctly. *NOTE* make sure to check TV pressure with the shifter in the NEUTRAL, never check TV pressure in PARK.

also check out these videos;

Last edited by 88grandmarq; 04-10-2011, 01:34 PM.

Comment

FWIW, I've never hooked a pressure gauge to any of my transmissions. Just adjust the cable till it shifts right.
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                          FWIW, I've never hooked a pressure gauge to any of my transmissions. Just adjust the cable till it shifts right.
                          98% of the time you can do it that way.... but if you have adjusted it already, incorrectly, with the car not running, you will need a gauge to get a base setting to know if you are high or low.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                            Same here I set the base pressure like Ken badshoes shows in the video. Then I fine tune it until I get it where I like.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                            Big plans

Comment

Working...
                            X