Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark VI "Edelbrock Performer" Carb & Intake Conversion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally got my Carb & intake setup, but I noticed I need a few more things before I get started.
    I couldv'e sworn when I last bought a carburetor it came with new mounting studs, may be they don't any more. So, I have to buy them. I'm also going to get a new intake bolt set & thermostat housing (the old housing is just rust).

I also bought the adaptors for the stock throttle cable and kickdown rod. hopefully it all works out.
    Attached Files
    1980 Lincoln Mark VI - Now With New & Improved 4.6L Modular Power!

A timing chain replacement (performance) would benefit you as well. Not only is it worn out, it's probably retarded from the factory to control emissions.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Fun shiny new parts! I also recall having carb studs included when I bought a Performer carb and intake new. Weird. At least they're something you can even get from Lowes if options are limited.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Mine came with the studs, and the nitrous plate system i added came with longer studs. On the intake manifold bolts i got the stainless ones they're worth it. Less than $20 through summit. Good luck on your conversion.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
        Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
        Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
        NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

Ok. I spent the last two days doing the conversion. It's about 80% perfect. But...?

Comment

My pictures wont load? I'll try again in a little while.

Comment

might try resizing them first. I reduce mine to 800x600 before uploading (saves the server doing the resize and my connection for load times)... I think the server resizes to 640x480 or 600x450 or some such in that area

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Make yourself a photobucket account and just link them over here. Much easier and can be as big as you want.
                Originally posted by gadget73
                There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Ok I finally got the problem with the pictures figured out. There was a problem with my computer. Any way.

Here's some pics of the Intake Manifold swap. I used some nice Edelbrock stainless intake bolts.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here's the adapter that's supposed to make the stock throttle cable & kickdown lever work with the carb...NOT...it didn't even come close. There was also a bracket to move the throttle linkage over to the left. But that hit the valve cover & wouldn't bolt down. So I ended up bolting the throttle cable right to the carb & the stock throttle cable bracket to the intake. I'll have to get a Lokar kickdown cable.
                    Attached Files

Comment

there is no bracket for AODs. the stuff you got is for the C3, C4, C6 etc. let me know how you like the carb. i hear mixed opinions. mine(like many) have an issue with the fuel bowl going dry over a couple days.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Next is the thermostat housing, I got that from Summit too. I got a new thermostat & bypass hose from my supplier. But the thermostat housing main outlet & bypass outlets are smaller than the stock ones. So I cut the upper radiator hose back 2" & luckily I had a 5/8" hose with a right angle, so I cut it off & used that. Then I swapped over all the other sensors & fittings, but the vacuum outlet stood up straight on the new intake, Home Depot to the rescue with a right angle adaptor.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The last problem was "The Free Air Cleaner". When installed it tightened against the distributor cap & squished the spark plug wires. I was lucky the local Autozone had the Edelbrock 10" in stock. Also the finished pics & say goodbye to the stock stuff, as well as assorted emissions nonsense (thank God for historic plates)!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Yep, the kickdown rod adapter works great ... for kickdown rods. Never tried it with a TV rod - don't know if anyone has, actually.

If you get a Lokar-type TV cable, Summit sells TV "correctors" that alter the cable-pull ratio slightly, supposed to make for more optimal performance. I bought the $35 TCI corrector first time around, then learned of the Summit-branded one for $20, which is what I ordered when I wanted another one. After I whined at them, they made it so you can now find the Summit correctors with the site search feature and changed the descriptions so no one thinks some of the correctors are good only for Chevys. I recently did some reading on a fancy TV adapter I saw in Car Craft years ago that involves a little egg-shaped ramp thing that alters the rate of cable pull as you open the throttle, but wasn't able to find that the seller offered it separately.

O-ring waternecks work good if the mating surface is flat, not so good if it isn't. I had trouble finding replacement O-rings when I was first using one and ended up going back to a conventional waterneck, but since then I've discovered that Summit and others sell new O-rings.

I do heartily endorse adding a 90-degree street elbow to point a straight heater hose fitting in a convenient direction. I've done it once, and I'm planning to do the same thing when I remove the fancy heater pipe assembly on my other engine.
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Thanks for the info Marquisman. I'm going to get a new throttle cable & kickdown cable from Lokar. They make a billet aluminum bracket made to fit right on the Edelbrock carb that holds the 2 cables. Also I noticed that if the car sits you have to crank it a long time. & I'm talking like 10 minutes, I never had that problem with my Holley on my Mark II. Is that 'cause the bowl goes dry? I can't really tell how it is performance wise yet Because the car isn't shifting properly, but it sure does idle smoooth!

Comment

Working...
                              X