Good friday is transmission day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good friday is transmission day

So I have never pulled a transmission before, but friday I am going to do it. D's U pull it has a car that they are putting up on stands for me today. They are going to be open from 9 until 12 on friday. I know its only 3 hours but I am going to get done what i can and head back saturday to finish.

I'm going to use this thread for reference:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ay-AOD-Removal

Any other good advise?
    2002 Nissan Maxima 6spd 14.2@98mph "it may or may not be street legal"
    2009 Chevy HHR Panel - My office
    1988 Lincoln Town Car - The new love of my life

Ok i did not finish because of time but here is what i got done. The driveshaft, the crossmember and the starter are out. The junkyard cut the exhaust off when the car came in so that was not a problem. The wires and linkages are next before the main removal and that looks easy.

I got a few questions.

How do i take the dipstick tube out or dont i?

How many bolts are on the bell housing?

And finally what is the inspection shield and how do i take it off to get to the torque converter bolts? (how many of those are there?)

also should i take the torque converter bolts out first or the bell housing?

Thanks in advance

Comment

There are 6 bellhousing bolts.

The transmission dipstick has a tab that mounts under one of the bellhousing bolts on the passenger's side. Remove the bolt, and the tube will pull right up and out (sealed with an o-ring).

The inspection cover is between the engine and transmission, at the base of the bellhousing. If you remove it, you can access the torque converter nuts/ studs. My car had three bolts in the inspection cover. One was a different size than the other two; may have just been my car.

Remove the cover, and look for the converter nuts/ studs. There are 4 on the AOD. You will have to turn the engine over in order to get to them. Rotate the engine until you can access the nut, remove the nut, and then repeat until you have removed all 4.

Absolutely remove the torque converter nuts before the bellhousing bolts.
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Thank you!!!!!

silly question how do I turn the engine over?

Comment

Pry on the flywheel teeth with a big screw driver. So, crack 'em all loose before you remove them. If the car is on stands where you can reach into the engine compartment, breaker bar turning the bolt that holds on the damper. (turn clockwise as viewed from the front).

Comment

Turning the engine over will be easier if you take the spark plugs out.
            Originally posted by gadget73
            There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
            93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
            Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
            Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
            95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

15/16" socket on the crankshaft bolt and a suitable breaker bar or ratchet is what I use. prybar or screwdriver works in the junkyard but it can fuck the teeth up. I would not do that on my own car.

There is sometimes a goofy bracket from the lower corner of the trans bellhouse to one of the motor mount studs. You may need to remove the nut on the motor mount bracket to drop that out of the way to get the inspection covers off. I think thats the odd size bolt. I've never figured out what the hell that bracket does other than get in my way and not get re-installed most of the time.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

When I removed the bolt, that goofy bracket just swung out of the way. The nut was probably not tight.

I use a socket on the crank bolt to turn the engine over. And yes, it is easier with the plugs removed, but not necessary.
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Thinking about it, the junkyard car has that bracket.

Comment

Just to clairify, the crank bolt is the bolt on the front of the motor on the pully?

Comment

the very same
                      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Finally after a few months i got this transmission out today. The only thing i did not get was the torque converter. The car was a Cash 4 clunkers car and i was not able to turn over the motor to get to the four torque converter bolts.. The guys at the junk yard told me its not a good idea to use the one out of my car, that i should consider buying a new one. Any thoughts?

One more thing to ask, i had the guys at the yard cut the shift linkage shaft because I could not remove it from the transmission. How do i take it out?

Hopefully i'll get it in this week so i can bring a 4 Speed town car to steamtown instead of a 2 speed lol
                        Last edited by Andypot1985; 07-16-2011, 02:27 PM.

Comment

use a propane torch to melt the plastic bushing, and the linkage will come out. Then you have to get a new bushing, but I think there is an assortment in one of those Help! packets that will do the job.

Torque converter is iffy. If your fluid is clean, then you can probably reuse it. If your fluid is dark and nasty, do not reuse it. I'd give a real good look at the front seal. If the trans was pulled with the converter on the engine, it could have damaged the seal.
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+1 on the Help! linkage bushings. I got a pack to replace the bushing that was missing when I took possession of my P72.

Odd that a random guy at a junkyard thought he knew your torque converter was toast ... how would a torque converter really be messed up, anyway? Chunks chewing bits off the impeller blades, maybe? Or just gunk build-up after 50 zillion miles of service?
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

the converters don't usually fail, but if the existing trans died and barfed out metal or clutch material or whatever, a lot of it will end up in the converter and it won't all come out with a simple drain. There are converter flushing machines that basically pump fluid through the converter just to clean any leftovers out if the converter is being reused. best case is always a new converter, but honestly if you're putting a used trans in the car, its a bit hard to justify if the existing one is working and doesn't appear to be full of junk.

Comment

Working...
                              X