New Exhaust and Mufflers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Exhaust and Mufflers

I finally put mufflers on the GM after 3 years of straight-pipes. I like the sound, it's nice and quiet on the highway, but it sounds real nice when you get on it. It's 2 1/2" pipe from the first set of cats (2nd set removed) back to an H-pipe, Xcelerator turbo mufflers, and exits out the side. It has definitely restored a lot of the lost torque I had with the straight-pipes and the PI intake.

I'm thinking about painting the tailpipes black. Maybe some 2 1/2" or 3" chrome tips. Any thoughts, suggestions, etc?

Yes I know the rust behind the door looks horrible...it's starting to rust through And it already has under the rockers on the driver side
    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
    1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

I like the sound of that.

I say paint the exhaust black.

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yeah I think that'd look pretty cool. I had that on my tailpipes when they were 3" out the back. it looked sweet. Plus the grill, wheels, and trunk fascia are black. And I plan on blacking out the taillights and front turn signals...so it'll fit the "theme."
      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
      1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

That's the sound I want... Hope you dont mind me copying your idea.
        2000 Grand Marquis LS: Back in the Panther Life Again.

Comment

Nah, dude, go for it. It wasn't really even my idea...I told my exhaust guy (a friend's brother), "I want a muffler thats quiet but not too quiet, an H-pipe, and exiting infront of the rears." Needless to say I am pretty pleased with it. I will be recommending these mufflers.
          1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Double post FTL.

And thanks.
            2000 Grand Marquis LS: Back in the Panther Life Again.

Comment

Idk what happened I only clicked submit once. haha
              1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Posting a little update. The mufflers have about 3000mi. on them, they have broken in pretty nicely. They are a lot smoother and have a nice lower rumble. I painted the pipes black, and while I was letting the paint bake, I decided to shoot a vid. The water is from me spraying mud off the pipes before I painted them (some got in the pipes) and it was idling for 10 min. I just need to get the car cleaned and find a pair of 18" tires to replace two of the bald ones on my Mustang rims.

Last edited by DriverSideImpact98; 06-17-2011, 05:04 PM.
                1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Still sounds mean.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

It really does, awesome sound man. Can't believe it's a 281, it sounds just like my old broncos sidepipes lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X