painting the header panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

painting the header panel

what grit sandpaper should i use to sand it down? any reccomendations on primer? how many coats of primer, and how many coats of paint?

i know i'm spouting questions left and right but i want to do 1200% of the work this car needs myself
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

How does the current paint look? Is it cracked bad? Are their deep chips? Are you changing the color or just freshining up the same color?

Comment

the header panel on the drivers side is in pieces lol. the headlight bezel hides most of it but it looks like whatever hit the fender struck that area of header panel. i would be going from dk blue metallic to cyrstal blue metallic clearcoat or whatever its called. i have a spare header panel its jkust dk blue lol
      Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

If original paint looks good then you will only need to remove the shine.
        For chips feather edge with 80 grit then remove the 80 grit scratches with 180 to 220 grit paper then remove the 180 - 220 grit scratches with 400 grit.
        The only locations that need primer: bare metal, body filler (bondo), or any other location where there is no paint.
        3 types of primer are recommended for bare metal.
        First coat: self etch primer just for bare metal.
        Next layer: high build primer; this will be used to remove minor sand scratches .use a minimum of 3 coats.
        Then wet sand with 400 - 600 grit paper. If you sand down past primer reprime using previous steps.
        After high build primer, primer sealer must be used to lock down previous layers.
        Then paint. If you use single stage paint this will be your last step. Apply 2 - 3 coats.
        If you use base coat clear coat then you are just getting started. Apply 2 coats of base coat (color) or until you have coverage, multiple coats are not needed let the paint flash before adding clear coat.
        Read manufactures directions for proper flash times. Usually about 10 to 15 min.
        Apply 2-3 coats of clear coat allow time to flash between coats.
        Cutting and buffing may be necessary but that’s a job in itself .

Comment

Originally posted by Chachi
          If original paint looks good then you will only need to remove the shine.
          For chips feather edge with 80 grit then remove the 80 grit scratches with 180 to 220 grit paper then remove the 180 - 220 grit scratches with 400 grit.
          The only locations that need primer: bare metal, body filler (bondo), or any other location where there is no paint.
          3 types of primer are recommended for bare metal.
          First coat: self etch primer just for bare metal.
          Next layer: high build primer; this will be used to remove minor sand scratches .use a minimum of 3 coats.
          Then wet sand with 400 - 600 grit paper. If you sand down past primer reprime using previous steps.
          After high build primer, primer sealer must be used to lock down previous layers.
          Then paint. If you use single stage paint this will be your last step. Apply 2 - 3 coats.
          If you use base coat clear coat then you are just getting started. Apply 2 coats of base coat (color) or until you have coverage, multiple coats are not needed let the paint flash before adding clear coat.
          Read manufactures directions for proper flash times. Usually about 10 to 15 min.
          Apply 2-3 coats of clear coat allow time to flash between coats.
          Cutting and buffing may be necessary but that’s a job in itself .
          I'm gonna be calling uppon your help this coming summer bro! I've daveled a bit in body work when my Dad restored his 61 F-100. But I'm still no expert. I'll probobly end up redoing a lot of what I do, because I am a perfectionist.

Comment

chachi is already going to get hired to do the paint/bodywork on GMGT...
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

now now children, don't fight there is plenty of me to go around .

I'm also a perfectionist

Comment

header panel you say?

its pretty damn simple.

i was about to writeup, but chachi already beat me to it..

LTD is still here

Comment

are you goin to clear coat it ?

Comment

eeeeeyeah... clearcoat...

LOL well since you werent previously a CVN member, i'm gonna let you in on something,

Acyrlic enamel doesnt require a clearcoat.

that there was primer

this is paint:

primer:

paint:

see the difference?

you must have missed my thread in the reader's rides.

s'ok tho.. honest mistake..

:lol:
                    LTD is still here

Comment

Umm...

Chachi is an autobody mang, and is damn good at it.

Dont you think he knows this shit?
                      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

yea i know he is. i was just messin w/ him..
                        LTD is still here

Comment

it would have been nice if you were a little more dicriptive. you never said you were using Acyrlic enamel paint. also there is a reason i was never on cvn...

Comment

Originally posted by Chachi
                            it would have been nice if you were a little more dicriptive. you never said you were using Acyrlic enamel paint. also there is a reason i was never on cvn...
                            i didnt need to be because this wasnt my writeup. you just didnt know, thas all. not trying to blame you or anything.

maybe one day when i'm not lazy and i'm bored i'll post pics of the whole project. i did this almost a year ago.
                            LTD is still here

Comment

I noticed in the pic of the header panel that the part was off the car I think thats great that somebody knows how to do it right and take the parts that are to be painted off first! that will make for a great paint job! we are going to do that with the 89 crown vic and my lil capri both are going to be ppg black satin it's like flat black but it wont fade in the sun. thats some good advice for the header panel...oh hey TAKE YOUR TIME A GOOD PAINT JOB IS IN THE PREP WORK!
                              YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Working...
                              X