Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make 592HP on a 4.6l with less then $2300...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make 592HP on a 4.6l with less then $2300...

One word, TURBO!

check out the article http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...298/index.html

ENJOY, I know I did!

my 93 wants

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ok, so maybe a 2V would be a good idea in my truck

Of course, they made that with 100 octane. I am probably going to go with a mark 8 longblock and two turbocoupe hairdryers :Crazy:
      Last edited by Grand Marquis GT; 05-02-2011, 06:59 PM.
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

It was pretty cobbled, in my opinion.

But if you spent a few extra bucks, you could probably make it a really nice installation, in an actual car. With a set of the TFS heads, and a built bottom end, you'd probably have some really serious business on your hands. And all from 281 cubic inches. Nice.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

What kind of power can a stock 4.6 bottom end take?

I'm just wondering if the modular is in any way superior in stock form with regards to power handling.
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

IIRC... about 700hp... but that's IF! IRC.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Really? I heard more like 4XX before stuff starts coming undone. They got cast pistons, not forged like the 5.0's.
              1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Ported some 4V heads and intake for a guy. He used aftermarket rods pistons crank. Pulled 630 HP 3 pull the bottom end came appart.

The mod motors heads want higher RPM. The bottom end with its narrow bearing widths and bore to stroke ratio is more for lower RPM. Some of there new blocks might be better.
                The old aluminum blocks can have big issues with the mains. We did a blower motor such as found in a Mark VIII. The bearing wear was realy wierd. Thas when Ford decided to use iron block for blower motors.

Forced induction is the best way to go with a mod motor it overcomes port design issues and pulling power at a lower RPM keeps the engine togeather longer. Blower pistons are required if more than 4 to 6 lbs of boost is wanted as the ring pack stock is too close to the deck.
                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                  Ok, so maybe a 2V would be a good idea in my truck

Of course, they made that with 100 octane. I am probably going to go with a mark 8 longblock and two turbocoupe hairdryers
                  This month's Hot Rod in the article covering Drag Week has a guy running a blower on a virgin Mark VIII motor with 200K on it going pretty quick.
                  Sean and Tara Fling
                  Spring Hill, KS
                  '63 Ford Fairlane Wagon
                  You may remember Sean and Tara from the '06 Drag Week, where they honeymooned with a twin-turbo V-10-powered Grand Marquis. They came back last year with one of our favorite cars of the event: this wagon with a complete junkyard-sourced Mark VIII drivetrain, including the 4.6L DOHC engine and AODE trans. Topped with a ProCharger P1SC and controlled by an EMS Pro EFI setup, the "some kind of green" car ran consistent 12.30s in Daily Driver. In 2007 Tara was pregnant and couldn't drive, but this year she did all the racing, except for one pass that Sean made (he broke the driveshaft on his only pass-that'll teach him). Tara's birthday was Wednesday, September 10, while we were in Steele, Alabama, and Sean had posted on the HOTROD.com message board asking if everyone could surprise her with "Happy Birthday." The Drag Week faithful obliged.

Read more:http://www.hotrod.com/eventcoverage/...#ixzz1iL4b16NO
                  Last edited by Mercracer; 01-02-2012, 05:31 PM.

Comment

I for one would love to see a twin blower Mark VIII-

There's one on youtube with a Kenne Bell that makes 700+hp, but I think it's a Cobra block.

Comment

Working...
                    X