Cruise control quit working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise control quit working

Got the odometer and trip odometer working(good enough). Speedometer now does not move up & down smoothly. It has a twitch or jerkiness to it. Now my cruise control has quit working. Was wondering if this might be related to having the instrument cluster out and back in several times when doing the odometers. Any suggestions?

Don.
    1993 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L AODE[SIGPIC]sigpic

Speed signal faulty

Hi there from Germany,
    Cruise control is regulated by the same VSS signal that fires the speedo.
    For me that sounds like you have a bad speed signal. Maybe the VSS cable has a bad connection anywhere on its way or it is broken/partially broken.
    Check the grey/black cable coming from the PCM with a multimeter or just a 12V bulb, put the ignition on, shift to N and move the car forward and back on the driveway some metres. Your bulb or tester should show a regular on/off signal.
    If you have a premium radio harness your VSS cable maybe also in the main radio plug.

If that signal is OK, you may want to search further in the instrument cluster.

Hope that helps.

JoJo

Originally posted by Donal View Post
    Got the odometer and trip odometer working(good enough). Speedometer now does not move up & down smoothly. It has a twitch or jerkiness to it. Now my cruise control has quit working. Was wondering if this might be related to having the instrument cluster out and back in several times when doing the odometers. Any suggestions?

Don.

Comment

Hmmm. I also just did install an aftermarket stereo...

Don.

Comment

does said stereo thump hard? check and see if the twitching happens along with the beat of whatever you're playing. You may be draining enough voltage to cause issues with the systems. If you have a large amp (greater or equal to 1KW - I have a 760W amp and it will twitch my volt gauge, but never below 12.5V with the 3G alt and the pulley that came on it from the t-bird), definitely get one of those giant capacitors.

Vibration could be an issue if the wire harness that clips into the cluster somehow came just loose enough to make so-so contact. Also check the wire harness at the source (the tailshaft of the trans has the VSS in it. should be a couple of wires going to that... make sure it's seated good.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The stereo doesn't thump hard. The twitching/jerking occurs as the speedo needle travels up with acceleration or as it travels down with deceleration.It's sorta like a hesitation as it travels up or down. Once the speed is attained, the needle remains stable. I'll prolly wind up taking the cluster out again and checking the connections. Actually, I'm kinda tired of messing with it. Maybe the next time I drive it, I'll find these issues have been miraculously resolved(not).

Comment

Here is some good info that you will want while you're troubleshooting the cruise control on your post. I'm assuming your car is a 92 or later with an AODE (not bastard block 4.6). It would be helpful if you put that info in your signature in the future.
            http://p71interceptor.com/cruise/
            There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
            93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
            Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
            Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
            95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

My 1993 MGM does have the AODE, I believe, as it does have the O/D button on the end of the gear shift. Not sure what you are referring to as "bastard block 4.6".

Don

Comment

My 1993 MGM does have the AODE, I believe, as it does have the O/D button on the end of the gear shift. Not sure what you are referring to as "bastard block 4.6".

Don

Comment

the "bastard block" is a transition block 4.6L mod motor with the small block bolt pattern to allow bolting up the regular AOD. The AODE come out half way through the 92 model production run. The first halfers have the regular AOD and the rest have the electronic AOD (AODE) which has the newer bolt pattern.

Since yours is a 93 model... you do not have a bastard block and your trans is electronic.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

^^what he said. Bastard block 4.6 is the 4.6 that bolts to an AOD, not an AODE. Only made for part of the 92 production run until they were ready to put the AODE on the market.
                    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Finally got around to taking the airbag from the steering wheel and checking the CC switches there. Turned out that when I blew a puff of air at the switch on the right, a small plume of dust erupted. Blew on it another time or two and put it back together and it's been working since. Made me a happy camper.

Don.

Comment

Working...
                      X