Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trans fluid level?

Just don't want to hurt anything.

When I slid the engine+trans into the car, quite a lot of fluid leaked out the tail end. A little bit was lost from the torque converter.

All in all I'd estimate a loss of 1/2-1 quart of fluid.

I don't know the sum amount of fluid, but I know overfilling can do damage --I haven't studied transmissions, I don't know exactly how/why-- and of course underfilling can't be good either.

What are the tolerances? Since I need to check the level warm, should I leave it, drive it, fill it when I arrive at my destination? Put in 1/2 quart and check (and possibly fill) at my destination? If it turns out I overfilled a little, but not a lot, OK not to try and siphon off fluid?

I know I'm over thinking this, but as with every stupid little detail, I'd rather check first about my 1/2 quart dilemma than find out I did major damage by doing it wrong.

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
    Just don't want to hurt anything.

When I slid the engine+trans into the car, quite a lot of fluid leaked out the tail end. A little bit was lost from the torque converter.

All in all I'd estimate a loss of 1/2-1 quart of fluid.

I don't know the sum amount of fluid, but I know overfilling can do damage --I haven't studied transmissions, I don't know exactly how/why-- and of course underfilling can't be good either.

What are the tolerances? Since I need to check the level warm, should I leave it, drive it, fill it when I arrive at my destination? Put in 1/2 quart and check (and possibly fill) at my destination? If it turns out I overfilled a little, but not a lot, OK not to try and siphon off fluid?

I know I'm over thinking this, but as with every stupid little detail, I'd rather check first about my 1/2 quart dilemma than find out I did major damage by doing it wrong.
    Where's the fluid level when cold? If it's in the marks, start the engine, put the trans in drive. Hold foot on the brake, for about 20 seconds. do this in reverse as well. The trans will warm up faster. Then check the fluid level. Add as necessary, if it's still in the cross hatched area, leave it alone. Also, during this time, check for leaks obviously...

Comment

Go figure, it is still in the cross hatched area, while cold. I'll go ahead and drive it then, supposed to have a picnic with some friends so I'll fill it up when I'm home and it's definitely at full temperature

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
        Go figure, it is still in the cross hatched area, while cold. I'll go ahead and drive it then, supposed to have a picnic with some friends so I'll fill it up when I'm home and it's definitely at full temperature
        Pics!

Comment

Working...
        X