Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ringing from Dash

Hi guys,

I have had a recurrent problem on my 92 Crown Vic since I've owned it.

After driving for a while, a ringing noise will start, coming from the dash. If you pull the headlamp switch on, the ringing goes away.

I've always thought it was an interference between the sensor for the autolamp and the digital dash, but that's only a guess.

Thanks.
    sigpic

Where abouts in the dash? Near the headlamp switch? In the center behind the HVAC controls?

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
      Where abouts in the dash? Near the headlamp switch? In the center behind the HVAC controls?

-ryan s.
      Closer to the headlamp switch.
      sigpic

Comment

Clean your grounds. Sounds like a ground problem to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
          Clean your grounds. Sounds like a ground problem to me.
          I've tried that once or twice, with little improvement.

Any specific grounds that I may have missed?
          sigpic

Comment

sounds like a bad door switch causing the door dinger to go. I had that problem once. Fixed it by removing the door dinger and replacing the switch.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              sounds like a bad door switch causing the door dinger to go. I had that problem once. Fixed it by removing the door dinger and replacing the switch.
              Hi,

I don't hear the door dinger go off in this case, it's just a low frequency ringing sound that you start to hear after you've been driving the car for a while. As mentioned, pulling out the headlamp switch cures it, but it's an irritant because doing so makes the digital display impossible to see in the daytime.
              sigpic

Comment

Just before this thread sinks under page 1, I thought I should bump it once to see if anyone else has any other thoughts.

Thanks.
                sigpic

Comment

With or without the radio on? I'm thinking ground problems

Only thing other than that would possibly be the fuel pump...

Will it ring with the key on but the engine not running?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                    With or without the radio on? I'm thinking ground problems

Only thing other than that would possibly be the fuel pump...

Will it ring with the key on but the engine not running?
                    Radio on or off, makes no difference. Ringing will start within about 10 or 15 minutes of driving.

This ringing only happens when the engine is running and only after the above-mentioned amount of time. Again, pulling out the headlamp switch gets rid of it.

There's a chance that it could be a noise coming from the digital dash. Sometimes the airbag light will come on, and my check engine light (EGR insufficient flow code) is a constant fixture.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X