95 mirror?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

95 mirror?

I began stripping my 95 and the rearview mirror is much different than the one in my box. It's got wiring attached to it....I cut that and left plenty of slack, and left it marked so I can trace the wiring if need be.

Mirror has a weird clear button on the top.

anyway, since it's got wires going to it, it obviously has something my old mirror does not. auto dimming? is that clear thing on top a sensor of some variety?

anyone with a 92-97 aero wanna go take a look at their mirror?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Take a pic of it. Most likely an auto-dim unit. I thought that they had a switch on the bottom "off/lo/high" for the sensitivity. The later ones just have an "on/auto" setting.
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

pics imminent
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

actually goddamn facebook upload isnt working
        sigpic

Comment

this is the rear of the mirror

one shot is the backside of the mirror, the next is the top. i have the little harness that plugs in there.
          sigpic

Comment

It's an autodim mirror. it dims at night when the sensor in the front pics up light from asshole drivers. The sensor in the back tells the mirror whether or not to use the front sensor or not. Put that in your 90. That shit's nice. I added one to my car recently. Mine has a compass.

Comment

cool! thanks bro. i take it that it just needs a hot and a ground? like I said, I still have the little harness that clips into it.

a compass? damn you! i want a compass.
              sigpic

Comment

er, hot, ground, and ignition 12v probably. 3 wires.
                sigpic

Comment

Should only really need a keyed power and ground. The third wire you see has something to do with when you put the car into reverse. It brightens the mirror so you can see what the hell you are doing if the mirror is currently dimmed.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I've seen autodims that look like that, but I didn't realize Ford ever used them. Most of the ones I've seen with the clear button on the bottom were in Chryslers. They are really all the same anyway made by a company called Gentex.
                    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                    Past Panthers
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

How does a fella decide which wire is which?
                      sigpic

Comment

Tell me the colors.
                        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

u got an EVTM for a 95?

black (betcha it's ground)
                          purple/red or pink stripe
                          black/red or pink stripe

the stripes are the same color but I can't quite decide if they're red or pink.
                          sigpic

Comment

No. Give me the day and I will try and help. For sure ground is black though.
                            ~David~

Comment

This should help you out

http://www.p71interceptor.com/gentexmirror/
                              sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Comment

Working...
                              X