Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to disable the auto-lock function when you start the car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to disable the auto-lock function when you start the car?

2001 GM

Right when you start the car the doors automatically lock. I know why it's in place but I HATE this feature! 2 times I have locked my keys in the car while moving it to service or wash the car.

IE-hopping in, backing my car up to the water hose or service ramps with the door open, cut car off, leave keys in ignition, hop out and shut the door.....DOH!

I know I should pay better attention but this is the FIRST car I have owned that auto-locks upon startup so it's a hard habit to break.

So I ask, is there ANY way to disable that damn auto-lock function.
    '01 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4.6L
    '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

It's the same as a ford truck:
    http://www.fordf150.net/howto/autolocks.php
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

the older ones involved a key sequence on the keyless entry pad. It used to be in the owner's manual how to shut it off.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I just googled disable ford autolock. I found instructions on how to do it with the keypad, but it doesn't look like he has that feature in the picture, so I didn't mention it.
        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

oh the non-keyless ones autolock now? Used to be that only existed on keyless entry cars. Mind you I'm like 20 years behind the times when it comes to current vehicle features. I always hated autolock though.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My truck doesn't lock until I get going about 10 mph. Its an '04.
            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

OK this is REALLY weird....

I went digging and found the Owners Manual online. It is listed in there with a way to use the ignition and door locks in sequence to turn autolock off but it does NOT work for me. See attachment.

The manual also says the doors will only autolock when:

All doors are closed
              Ingnition is on
              Shift into gear

I am totally confused cuz when I get in the car with the driver door still open, as soon as I start it the doors lock. Grrrr!!!
              Attached Files
              '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

don't start it. ignition is on... not running.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

How do you feel about doing without power locks?
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                    don't start it. ignition is on... not running.
                    As far as following the steps in the attachment? I don't start it. Just click to ON. Still doesn't disable autolock. What I am saying is the car is autolocking when it doesn't even meet the criteria as listed in the manual for the autolock to engage.

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                    How do you feel about doing without power locks?
                    Nah, this is a big car. I want to keep my power locks.
                    Last edited by r2t; 05-12-2011, 11:41 AM.
                    '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Is there an aftermarket alarm installed?
                      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                      Past Panthers
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Nope. No alarm.

But what's also weird is my keyless remote. It isn't like any others I have seen for my make and model. It's a 3 button and it says Ford, not Mercury. I have scoured the internet for a replacement remote case cuz the loop part that attaches to the keyring is broken. I can't find this particular case ANYWHERE. /offtopic

I bought the car with 38k from a 1 owner old lady but this sure is a strange car...
                        '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Originally posted by r2t View Post
                          Nope. No alarm.

But what's also weird is my keyless remote. It isn't like any others I have seen for my make and model. It's a 3 button and it says Ford, not Mercury. I have scoured the internet for a replacement remote case cuz the loop part that attaches to the keyring is broken. I can't find this particular case ANYWHERE. /offtopic

I bought the car with 38k from a 1 owner old lady but this sure is a strange car...
                          That is your problem. Obviously you have a dealer installed keyless entry system. Many of those systems have auto-locking as soon as you turn on the igntion. The regular owners manual cannot help you. Try googling "dealer installed Ford keyless entry" or something along those lines. I would be willing to be that you can disable it somehow with the key fob.

Another thing may be peek around under dash and look for a module that appears to be added on.
                          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                          Past Panthers
                          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Aaah ok. Glad I mentioned it. Thanks

I'll update with my findings.
                            '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Originally posted by r2t View Post
                              Nah, this is a big car. I want to keep my power locks.
                              - since power locks were optional on Vics at least through '87.

Do you know whether the autolocking is controlled by a computer or via a wire that tells it when to lock? Seems to me it should be possible to just clip the wires that tell it to lock itself, thus disabling the autolock figure. But if the regular lock switches operate the locks via a chassis control module, that approach is probably worthless.
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                              X