Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something weird...slight sputtering

2001 GM 53k

From time to time when I drive I feel a slight jerk, or twitch if you will. As if the car stopped getting gas for a split second. And then it continues on... no problems.

It especially happens when I am getting onto this one curved interstate entrance ramp on my way to work. At that time it happens 2-3-4 times in succession. Other than that during my 15 minute commute it may happen 1-2 times. Sometimes not at all. I do not notice any variances with the electrical equipment like gauge or lights dimming at all.

I want to be proactive in getting this fixed rather than letting the minor annoyance bite me in the ass down the road but have no idea where to start.

Any ideas what the issue could be?
    '01 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4.6L
    '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

has the trans been serviced?
    i'm thinking possible torque converter shudder

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

01 CV did this to me. Plugs and the little wires that go from the coils to the plugs fixed it. I think it's just a minor misfire, not one big enough to set the CEL
      Originally posted by gadget73
      There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
      93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
      Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
      Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
      95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

LM, nah no service. I did change the tranny filter and fluid about 5k ago though...

Thx 91w, I will look into that as well.
        '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Originally posted by r2t View Post
          LM, nah no service. I did change the tranny filter and fluid about 5k ago though...

Thx 91w, I will look into that as well.
          Tranny filter and fluid=tranny service
          Originally posted by gadget73
          There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
          91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
          93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
          Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
          Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
          95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

interstate entrance ramp = acceleration.
            Fuel filter been done within memory?

Mine would hesitate like that; turned out the fuel filter hadn't been done in something like 60 or 70,000 miles (supposed to be 30k intervals)

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
              interstate entrance ramp = acceleration.
              Fuel filter been done within memory?

Mine would hesitate like that; turned out the fuel filter hadn't been done in something like 60 or 70,000 miles (supposed to be 30k intervals)

FF changed about 5k ago along with the tranny. Same day actually.

As far as the interstate ramp, it's a loooong one. uphill, downhill and curvey.
              '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

+1
                I'll go with the Coil-on-Plug coil packs. All it takes is for one of those to misfire, or the CoP connector to go bad and it'll act funny.

-ryan s.
                08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                Originally posted by pantera77
                Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Is there a way to tell which pack is bad? Rather than replace them all? Or is it best to do the everything at the same time? (I haven't looked at their cost yet)
                  '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

There is a voltage/reisitance check you can do. I don't know exactly what range you'd be looking for. I'm sure after some goolging-action, it can be found. Maybe on my lunch break....
                    By the way, Steeda makes replacement performance coil packs. A set of 8 run $250. MSD makes a set for $380. Just saying....

-ryan s.
                    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                    Originally posted by pantera77
                    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Since the last time I posted here my car has developed a new problem that occurs semi-frequently. When it does happen, I turn the key, the car starts right up, then immediately shuts off. Sometimes it will start up and drop down really low RPM, then boost up and idle fine from then on. Yesterday I had to restart 3 times in order for it to maintain a solid idle.

You guys think this is related to the "possible" coil pack issue?

Is there ANY way to have this problem scanned to be sure? Unfortunately $$$ is a HUGE problem for me right now cuz my Mustang intake manifold cracked on my wife last week.
                      '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Soulds like a bad IAC and/or dirty IAC port. Probably not a bad idea to clean out the ports while the IAC is out and replace. They are more expensive but I prefer Motorcraft IAC's. Have had trouble with aftermarket ones...maybe others have not but just saying.....

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Thanks, Bob. I don't even know where the Idle Air Controller? is on this car. All I have dont thus far since buying it last year was routine maintenance.

How's the weather in Miami? I am in VA and it's hot as BALLS here all week. 98
                          '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Weather here is hot as usual! Somewhere in the lower 90's but we are used to it. As for the IAC look on the driver's side of the engine below the throttle body. It has an electrical connector and (usually) two screws. It is an easy repair but sometimes getting to it is a "bitch". Make sure to clean the ports under it before you replace it and put a rag or someting in the ports after you remove the old one so nothing gets in there before you put the new one in! Here is what it may look like:

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

http://shopping.aol.com/1998-1999-me...otor-products/

Comment

Working...
                              X