1993 MGM R-12 to R-134A conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1993 MGM R-12 to R-134A conversion

Was kinda warm out today and had the A/C going full blast. Kept the car tolerable, but it should have been cooler. So guess it's time to do something . The sticker under the hood states the A/C uses R-12. Should prolly convert to R-134A. I got online and saw a kit at Autozone for $12.99. Didn't look to be anything but some fittings to change out. Has anybody done this? Is it something that's fairly easy for a non-mechanic? Are those few fittings all that needs changed out? And does $12.99 sound about right?
    Thanks,
    Don.
    1993 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L AODE[SIGPIC]sigpic

Originally posted by Donal View Post
    Was kinda warm out today and had the A/C going full blast. Kept the car tolerable, but it should have been cooler. So guess it's time to do something . The sticker under the hood states the A/C uses R-12. Should prolly convert to R-134A. I got online and saw a kit at Autozone for $12.99. Didn't look to be anything but some fittings to change out. Has anybody done this? Is it something that's fairly easy for a non-mechanic? Are those few fittings all that needs changed out? And does $12.99 sound about right?
    Thanks,
    Don.
    Its easy enough to do. However I'd make sure that the system is working properly before I go converting it to R134a. R12 is a superior refrigerant. For a proper retrofit you'd want new o rings, new orifice tube, new drier. There have been instances where people didn't do any of that shit and have ice cold air, so go figure. Fittings, ester oil, and the R134a are the bare minimum requirements...

Comment

If its just slightly low, you might be able to buy one can of R12 to top it up for less than what you can buy the retrofit stuff and the R134 for. Common man can't buy R12 to use, but you can buy it provided you promise not to use it, and re-sell it to your local AC shop for a penny or something so they can charge your car up. Single cans of R12 are going for like 20-25 bucks on ebay, R134 is like 15 a can now. Honestly for the extra 5 bucks, I'd save myself the hassle of converting to something that doesn't work as well.
      Last edited by gadget73; 05-11-2011, 05:17 PM.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

In my personal experience the r134a conversion did not get as cold as the r12. I had the ac in my 84 pontiac parisienne converted about 3 years ago when i had the compressor replaced and while it still does get cold, it does not get as cold as the r12 used to. On the other hand the ac on my 86 crown victoria wagon needed freon last year and I was able to score a can of r12 from craigslist for $10. I already had the hose, but the guy threw one in anyways. Being craigslist, the guy did not ask any questions or make me promise not to use it or anything, and I was able to fill it myself and have ice cold air again.

Comment

Score! Obtained one can of R-12 for $20. I think one can will take care of it. Guy even gave me the hose. Said when he bought it years ago it only cost like 89 cents. Was wondering should I just go ahead and put this in or should I check with a gauge?

Don.

Comment

usually its safer to confirm you are low on refrigerant with a set of gauges.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Another thing. I noticed the top of the can, where it would be spiked, is bulging a bit. Is this likely to cause a problem with sealing when the can is punctured? Have to leave for work. I'll check the opening mechanism later.

Don.

Comment

Working...
              X