Mirror Thermometer Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mirror Thermometer Woes

My '88 TC has the driver side mirror mounted thermometer with the green backlighting. Always worked great until last summer when I was driving through Nova Scotia and it just got "stuck" on just under 70 degrees F.
    It's been like it ever since, and I miss having the thermometer working...I know it's not a necessity but I like shit to work and it was pretty handy to have there.
    Anyone else have the same thing happen to them? Any ideas for possible repairs that either include or don't include replacing the mirror?
    Thanks mangs!
    Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

replace the mirror its the only way to fix it. im guessing, something happens to the mercury in there and then the reading goes wonky.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
      replace the mirror its the only way to fix it. im guessing, something happens to the mercury in there and then the reading goes wonky.
      lol I guess that's what I'll have to do...you know where I could get one???
      Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
      Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I got mine on ebay.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

its actually a spring mechanism. If you're careful, you *might* be able to get the thermostat to pop out if you heat it to loosen the glue but i wouldn't count on it. There was a guy selling NOS but slightly scratched mirrors on ebay for not much money a few months ago. I got a pair for my car for like 30 each, and they look awesome. Theres a scratch on the glass, but compared to what I had before, its a big improvement. They changed the plugs sometime in 87 from a 2 plug to 1 plug style. You can easily convert between the two though if you find a nice mirror with the wrong electrical plug on it.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Comment

Working...
          X