Door Lock Actuators ('87 GM)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door Lock Actuators ('87 GM)

I wish to replace the actuator, on the Driver's front side, with a NOS actuator. Is there a way to separate the motor part from the bracket so I don't have to remove the whole assembly? In other words I wish to re-install the new motor and rod onto the original bracket already mounted in the door. Any and all info here would be most appreciated...thanks....Bobby

P.S. It is for an '87 GM.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

It can be done but it takes some dexterity , the actuator has two pins with rubber bushing type things that can be pried out and pushed back into the bracket a lot of lube helps to push it back in . I thought I had an extra to show in pics but I cant seem to find it

EDIT : found a bracket and bushing
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hypostang; 05-27-2011, 11:32 PM.
    sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Comment

Can you carefully pry the bracket apart, with a screwdriver, to release the motor?

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

You dont need to do that , if you can get a good grip on it you can just pull it downward and it will come out , or just pry it downward.... it is a lot tougher to put it back in. the little black bushing thing is rubber so you can distort its shape quite a bit .
        If I could find my spare actuator it would be a lot clearer
        Attached Files
        Last edited by hypostang; 05-28-2011, 12:16 AM.
        sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Comment

Yes you can pop the motor out of the bracket. Not easy, but it will pull out eventually.
          sigpic
          2009 GM, 45,000 miles
          ADDCO Sway Bars, METCO Control arms & Watts link, KYB CVPI shocks, 3.27 Track Lock, GT500 wheels, Eagle F1 Supercar tires, Walker dual exhaust, AFE Cold Air intake, ADTR ported upper manifold, Stillen Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Hypertech Programmer, 93 tune.

Comment

I wedge a flat head screwdriver on the side I can see and pry that side loose... then the other side generally is much easier to get loose.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
            X