2001tc trans. Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2001tc trans. Problem

I've got an 01TC that has started hunting back and forth between gears when it's time to
    go into OD. This happens all the time now, even on flat level ground. It hesitates like it
    doesn't know if it should go into OD or not.

Can anyone give me any ideas of where to start looking? maybe vacuum leak?

The check engine light is on, but it's been on for over a year now, this just started
    recently!

Thanks!!

Check the codes to see what it has to say. It may be related to the trans problem.

When was the last time it was serviced? When was the last tuneup on the motor?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      Check the codes to see what it has to say. It may be related to the trans problem.

When was the last time it was serviced? When was the last tuneup on the motor?
      The codes say the check engine light it's a vacuum problem, but the trans. has been shifting fine till now.

The trans. has 40k on it.

Comment

Do those transmissions require vacuum? I know some do but I think those are just evolved AODs so probably not related to the vacuum leak.

caveat: I am likely wrong
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
          Do those transmissions require vacuum? I know some do but I think those are just evolved AODs so probably not related to the vacuum leak.

caveat: I am likely wrong

You're right, I don't believe those transmissions require vacuum. I'm just saying the code that comes up is for vacuum, which may affect the trans. indirectly? I don't know!

I still have no idea what could be wrong with the transmission.

Comment

Colour of trans fluid?
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
              Colour of trans fluid?

Like red wine, clean and clear, like it just came out of the bottle!

Could it be just a bad torque converter? They are electronic on those cars aren't they?

Comment

the electrical connector may be crudded up and need a good cleaning (AODE on my dad's truck wouldn't do OD at all until he cleaned the electrical connector up). It could also be lack of power due to the vacuum leak. it's possible that it tries to shift, but notes the lack of power needed to continue in OD and shifts back, notes the speed and past the shift point and attempts OD again... lather, rinse, repeat.

It could also be the OD solenoid shitting the bed.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Fix the damn engine concerns and then see if the 'transmission problem' is fixed. Fix what you know is wrong and go from there.
                  My reasoning is, you let a known problem go from bad to worse, and now it's causing drivablity problems.

Engines running like shit can act like transmission problems. I can personally claim this since vacuum leaks lead to a bucking at 55mph with the lopo. (it turned out to be a collapsing MAP sensor line)
                  Last edited by 86VickyLX; 05-31-2011, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X