{ACESSORIES}Alternator fires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{ACESSORIES}Alternator fires

Dear Gurus, I was driving down the interstate when my alternator light when on and when I pulled over and lifted the hood had eight inches of flame coming out of it. I extinguished the fire and had the 1989 Colony Park towed to the shop where the mehcanic rebuilt the alternator and said that many Ford alternators of that vintage burst into flame. True?

if i remember correctly, it was a problem with the wiring harness that hooks to the alternator
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Yes, thats what ive heard as well....

welcome to GMN!
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

the reason they sometimes flame up, is that the connector on the ltenator gets corroded and then it gets hot and melts, sometimes causing a fire........i have done a 3ag altenator conversion to eliminate that possibility.....the output terminal on the 3ag is a stud and not a crappy plug
        scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

one of my alt terminals has melted itself to the insulation around the lug its bolted to

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
          '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
          '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
            the reason they sometimes flame up, is that the connector on the ltenator gets corroded and then it gets hot and melts, sometimes causing a fire........i have done a 3ag altenator conversion to eliminate that possibility.....the output terminal on the 3ag is a stud and not a crappy plug
            scott
            What's a 3ag generator conversion? Donald

Comment

What's a 3ag generator conversion? Donald
              the 3ag altenator is 130 amp...........the 95 mustang gt altenator fits our cars.......the altenator physically bolts in place of the stock 65 amp unit
              some minor rewiring is required.......the regulator plug plugs right in to the 130 amp 3ag. you need to add a heavy wire to the battery with a 80 amp fuse (the stock altenator wiring barely handles the 65 amp altertenator) put a connector on the stator terminal and pluf into the 3ag, and put ring terminals on the other two heavy gauge wires and hook to the output stud on the 3ag.........took me less than an hour btw

heres some pics
              scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
              X