vinyl tops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vinyl tops

got a 02 town car, and i've seen some 98+ with full tops that have a smaller rear window, and was woundering, is that a fiberglass "cap" on the roof? got some ideas for mine n would like to know

Vinyl tops suck. They do use a fiberglass "filler" on those, yes.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

To each his own

Comment

I like the look of the vinyl tops for the most part... I hate maintaining them. Slick-top FTW.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yes it's a fiberglass shell on the newer models........the shell is covered with vinyl off the car then the shell is glued to the car........the shitty part is if the rear window ever gets broken the top had to be removed and recovered

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

thanks guys, now i just gotta find one

Comment

Looking to add a top to a car that didn't come with one? I'd suggest visiting the junkyard and pulling it, that way you get all the various bits of trim and whatnot that the car would have come with. Many of those were not Ford-installed, so the trim varies significantly and it may not be easy to find replacements. Stuff like opera lights and the trim around the bottom edges of the top varies a lot from car to car. I had a hell of a time finding the proper B pillar lights for my Towncar. There are like a half dozen different ones.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have noticed that some have the trim go to the rear window and some with a smaller rear window and the trim goes alone the bottom of the rear window. i wanna add a half top like the 80s town cars, just havent seen a 98-02 towncar with a half top, just full tops

Comment

I have, but not common. Personally I don't care for the look on the newer round models. I'm certainly not in the anti-vinyl camp but I just don't think a vinyl top compliments a round vehicle very well. Its your car though, and you're the only one who has to like it.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I know of a couple newer GM around here that have the half tops and i like it, also think it helps add to the luxury look

Comment

Working...
                    X