Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, I'm backing out of this parking space.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I'm backing out of this parking space.....

......straight back, turning the wheel to the left, come to a full stop and put the car in drive...uhhh drive uhhhm drive ....anyway, the damn shifter is just hanging there!!! Good thing I was in drive and was able to drive to the mechanics! If you'll notice in the picture, the plunger (hardened steel like a swaybar) is bent which prevented the shifter shaft to move freely as it is supposed to hence snapping it in half. Sheeeeeeeeesh .... it's always something! :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Jack (Hizhonor)
    The Lincoln Mark VII Club
    www.thelincolnmarkviiclub.org

sigpic

Now that has got to be the first time I have EVER seen anything quite like that!! :drug:

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
      Now that has got to be the first time I have EVER seen anything quite like that!! :drug:
      same here, holy schnikes. i had a similar experience with my 86, but it was the starter. i had gone to the convenience store and left the car running for some reason. i'm driving back home and in the road is a ford starter and i'm thinking to myself, i got home where i could see under the car and sure as shit, the starter in the road came from me. i'm so glad i left it running at the store
      Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

same thing happened in my friends 92 Grand Marq. it is pretty common apparently because the guy at the ford parts counter knew exactly what happend as soon as i said "shift tube"

also i believe that they are die-cast aluminum.

what happened was that the inner rod bends, which breaks the tube. i believe the inner part is hardened steel and the tube is die cast aluminum

http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
        http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Thats really wierd that both of your busted parts look just about identical. At least you got it fixed and it wasn't anything really major.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This is true, but how the hell does something like that inner plunger made of hardened steel BEND?????? It just makes no sense at all. There's almost no room for the shaft to move around it as it is let alone have it bend where it will jam in the shaft. I'm glad I wasn't the only one this happened to. I spoke to Dereck and his broke the exact same way.... verrrrry strange..... :confused:

Originally posted by gadget73
            Thats really wierd that both of your busted parts look just about identical. At least you got it fixed and it wasn't anything really major.
            Jack (Hizhonor)
            The Lincoln Mark VII Club
            www.thelincolnmarkviiclub.org

sigpic

Comment

all the more reason to own a box towncar lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

yeah, my shift linkage is fine, just the spring for the lever itself is shot. Every single coil on the spring that makes the shifter "pull back" is snapped. I've never seen anything like it.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

same here, holy schnikes. i had a similar experience with my 86, but it was the starter. i had gone to the convenience store and left the car running for some reason. i'm driving back home and in the road is a ford starter and i'm thinking to myself, WTF i got home where i could see under the car and sure as shit, the starter in the road came from me. i'm so glad i left it running at the store Crazy
                  :jawdrop: I'm sorry I know that sucks but I found that story funny as shit
                  Nick
                  88 Colony Park LS
                  G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                  Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Working...
                  X