Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loud annoying whining (not the wife or kid)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loud annoying whining (not the wife or kid)

Hey everyone, I'm a new member here on the grand marquis site. I have a 94 Grand Marquis with around 175k miles on her that my family has had since new. Its always been a good car to us. Runs strong and shifts good for its age and still has cold AC!

Lately its had a strange whining, almost whistle at certain acceleration, but recently on a 200+ mile trip the whining became extremely loud and high pitched to point of giving me a headache. But it continued to drive and shift just fine.

The whine would get softer and certain throttle positions and higher at others, but would disappear if I let off the gas completely, and then make a grinding whine when slowed under 15mph all the way to a stop.

It doesn't sound like power-steering because the sound continues even at speed and it doesn't squeek when turning in and out of parking spaces.

I'm really at a loss for the cause of this whining, I usually can figure anything out with my car.

If this question should be placed in another category please let me know.

Thanks for any help.

Sounds like its problems in the rear. I'd be suspecting pinion bearings but at 175k, the rear is due for an overhaul. The outer bearings and the axles pit and cause a lot of funky noises.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Does the noise change when you're making a turn?

Comment

The sound does not change at all when turning, or changing lanes. If the rear is due for an overhaul, what does that involve. Is it something I can do myself or should a professional do it?

Comment

Can you tell if its front or rear? If it sounds like front, maybe under the hood, it could just be a vacuum leak. I've fixed a few vacuum leaks on different Fords that made a weird whistle/whine noise that changed with the throttle (since vacuum changes with the throttle)
          Tweak the throttle from under the hood with it running and have a listen. The slowing-down grinding could be non related.
          I wouldn't think bearing noise would change that much over the range of throttle position, more just on/off the gas and with overall speed.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Can you tell if its front or rear? If it sounds like front, maybe under the hood, it could just be a vacuum leak. I've fixed a few vacuum leaks on different Fords that made a weird whistle/whine noise that changed with the throttle (since vacuum changes with the throttle)
            Tweak the throttle from under the hood with it running and have a listen. The slowing-down grinding could be non related.
            I wouldn't think bearing noise would change that much over the range of throttle position, more just on/off the gas and with overall speed.
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

My dad and I listened to it while in park and revved it up and down, but it never made the sound. It only makes the sound when moving, so it seems it must be some kind of moving part within the drivetrain or connected to the drivetrain.

Comment

Next, check for leaks from the back of the transmission, and around the pinion flange. If you see leaks from either, most likely a bearing is toast.

Comment

know u said it only makes noise when the car is movng, but I was thinking fan clutch, maybe under load the clutch gets noisy, just trying to help. Good luck!

Comment

hey, new to the site, my car is doing something simular, i have an 05 police interceptor, when in reverse or drive will make a loud grinding/whining noise sometimes, when not in motion and when in motion, it would come and go,. then in park or nuetrel the sound completely goes away. we pulled the debree gaurd from the front of the tranny underneith and found it was rubbing the torque converter/flywheel. bent it back to shape and put it back up and the sound went away! how ever the other day i had the car out around the corner and i got on it a little bit and i thought i heard the same noise again breifly then i got off the gas and it immediatly went away! we thought it could be loose or broken flywheel, but there is no vibrations following the noise! and its only when the car is in motion now at quick acceleration only sometimes! any suggestions? (i posted in this thread because same idea, sorry) thanks

Comment

might be a worn out trans/motor mount. Might should check those.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

wheel bearing?

Do some more test drives, and determine exactly when the noise occurs. acceleration? deceleration? deceleration with brake? left turn? right turn? in all gears?

I had a noise that seemed to happen on acceleration, that was a wheel bearing. Guess it loaded it up. Turns didn't seem to affect it. The classic, "if you turn left and you hear it, it's the right front wheel bearing," doesn't always hold true, or even often hold true.
                        You can always put it on jackstands, or take it to a shop and put it on a lift, and shake everything down-- all four wheels and the driveshaft too, in case. Have someone run it to 40mph and listen with a $1.50 stethoscope behind every wheel.

On acceleration: check that it is indeed drivetrain related, because acceleration = rpms, too. Put it in park and rev it to 2, 3 grand. Do you hear a noise? Then you've just eliminated the entire drivetrain, and can start listening at accessory pulleys for rough gravelly noises through the stethoscope.

Comment

thanks for the advise ill check into it 2mor0 and keep you guys posted!

Comment

well, im starting to think that its something lose in the transmission caseing, because even at idle i hear a minor rattle, almost like a bolt vibrating freely on a metal caseing! so i kno its not wheel bearings or any other driving components. now im gonna take off the debree sheild again and see if i can hopefully find somethign in there. keep yu posted, thanks

Comment

Does the whining noise seem to vary at all in pitch? If so, does it vary with road speed or with engine speed? That could possibly help you narrow down the source.

Comment

Working...
                              X