1980c10's T5 swap with hydraulic clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980c10's T5 swap with hydraulic clutch

Yes I have offically jumped into the deep end of the pool. Some of you may know I did some trading around with a lightning intake for a supposed fresh rebuilt aod. I put it in and it didnt have 3rd or 4th gear. Took it back to the guy, he said that he would have it rebuilt and return it to me. I got it back awhile ago and never put it in cause I was waiting for parts, finally got around to putting it in and no 3rd or 4th gear still. The sorry SOB didnt do a thing just let it sit in a corner for a month and told me to come get it I guess. Anyway....

That brings us to where we are now. I have become so frustrated with trying to get a good aod and then never being happy with the performance I finally broke down and decided on a 5 speed swap, with a twist being the hydro clutch of course.

I am going to look at a 92 T5 tomorrow probably picking it up. I have a pedal assembly from a 84 turbo gt already. I have been doing some reading and have some questions so correct me if I am wrong on anything. Since my car is a 91 I just need to slot the holes on the crossmember slightly? I can use my stock driveshaft correct? I will want to use the mustang mount on the T5?

Thats that part now things I will still need is a bellhousing, a 92+ non ABS brake booster, a clutch/flywheel kit, clutch fork, pivot rod, and the parts to do a hydraulic set up.

I plan on useing this clutch kit http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ent-Master-Kit

Then piecing together my hydro setup with CNC master and slave cylinder, Then I will be fabbing my own linkage for the pedal as well.

Thats all I can think of for now. Tips and info appreciated.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

I had to re-drill my mounts for the cross member forward about an half inch or so. You drive shaft will work fine and I used the cv tranny mount with out issue. I look forward to seeing this done with a hydro set-up.
    1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
    2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
    sigpic

Comment

I didn't have to change a thing with my drive shaft or transmission mount. I may have gotten lucky though.
      I'll be curious to see how the hydro setup works out.
      Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
      AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
      Open/Lock/Ratio #
      -----------------------
      G / H / 2.26
      B / C / 2.47
      8 / M / 2.73
      7 / - / 3.07
      Y / Z / 3.08
      4 / D / 3.42
      F / R / 3.45
      5 / E / 3.27
      6 / W / 3.73
      2 / K / 3.55
      A / - / 3.63
      J / - / 3.85

Comment

Awesome!
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I bet that he never put the other input shaft in. Since I think that's the one that controls 3 and 4 shifts lmfao. Hydraulic clutch ftw!

Comment

Well I went and looked at the tranny a little bit ago. It's a 4cyl tranny but it's tight and it shifts super smooth, so it will work for now. The price is also right at $150 it also has a sticker on top from a good local tranny shop so I am assuming it has been rebuilt by them at one point or another.

I know first gear will be like a truck tranny with my 4.30s but like I said it will work for the time being. Now I need to go pull the pedals out of the donor car, and get a 5.0 bellhousing then I can start mocking up and fabbing my pedals. YAY shifting gears FTW

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
            Big plans

Comment

Yeah, 3.97 first gear. And super weak input shaft. Also requires different pilot bearing when used on a V8.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

On a 90 you will have to remove the pivot tube from the brake/clutch assembly and weld it to the front of your stock brake pedal assembly.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

If it makes you feel better I got my 4cyl t5 from 4KFE back in the cvn days. It stood up to a good bit of flogging, and only lost 5th due to a failed output bearing.
                  Unless you are making considerably more than stock power, it'll be fine with those 4.30 gears.
                  Now I'm running tall steamrollers in the rear so your experience will differ a bit, but with 4.11 rear gears it's just about perfect with the 3.97 first.

The input shaft and front bearing retainer come right off with 4 bolts. It's no problem to swap them out if you're concerned.
                  Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                  AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                  Open/Lock/Ratio #
                  -----------------------
                  G / H / 2.26
                  B / C / 2.47
                  8 / M / 2.73
                  7 / - / 3.07
                  Y / Z / 3.08
                  4 / D / 3.42
                  F / R / 3.45
                  5 / E / 3.27
                  6 / W / 3.73
                  2 / K / 3.55
                  A / - / 3.63
                  J / - / 3.85

Comment

Not to worried about the strength of it. More the first gear ratio than anything, but I can always take off in 2nd right lol. Looks like it's raining for the next few day so I won't be able to pull the pedals out of the mustang for a week or so. So I may start some tear down on the Marquis, pull the drivers seat, pedal assembly, and brake booster off. Who knows, I will keep you all updated.

Oh one question will the yoke from the aod work on the t5 or do I need a t5 yoke?

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                    Big plans

Comment

It worked for me.
                      1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                      2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                      sigpic

Comment

Sounds good. Also if anyone has a 92+ non abs booster or a local yard that has one, I am needing one.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                        Big plans

Comment

I got the brake booster you need. I'll never use it... I got a pedal assembly too, but I don't think it will werk on a 91..

How much?
                          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

hmmm idk. How much do you think it will be to ship from bama to ohio?

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                            Big plans

Comment

Went and picked up the tranny today $150. World class t5 for a 2.3. I am pleased with it, shifts smooth and everything feels tight.

Waiting to go in its new home lol

Now I just need a bellhousing and my pedals and I can start teardown/mockup.

But I have a ton of sidework I need to finish, so this may get put on hold for a week or two. But I will progress as quickly as possible and keep you all updated.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                              Big plans

Comment

Working...
                              X