a/c problem can you please help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a/c problem can you please help?

I have a 99 MGM 4.6L I have been having a/c issues for about 2 months now and can not figure it out. When the car is just sitting at a light or just parked the a/c blows cold but just as soon as I start to drive the a/c warms up. I can be going 65 mph steady on the gas and it won't blow cold until I let off the gas pedal the it will get cold again. I have had the whole system flushed and recharged, has new drier and orphes tube and no leaks were found. Any one have any ideas. Any thing will help at this point.

hm, thats a totally opposite problem than most people have. Congrats on having a strange issue.

Does this have automatic climate control? If it does, it may be worth running the self-test to see what it has to tell you

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00283.html
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks gadget I will ne trying the test in a lil while. Will post findings.

Comment

I forgot to ask but where can I get this test done?

Comment

Test can be done at any dealer service department worth snot. Some parts stores also have good enough scanners that they can test that. "Call around and find out" is usually the best option.

That should have the electric blend door. Sounds like the blend door may be broken and just flopping back and forth with the inertia of the car.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If it is the blend door is it easy to fix or do I have to take it to a/c tech?

Comment

you can do this in your driveway. Just push the buttons like it says in the article. It will spit out codes that may or may not point you in the direction of the problem. No need to visit the dealer for that. If it doesn't give you any codes, then it may be worth a visit because there are more detailed tests that the scan tools can do, but just for the basic self-test that isn't required.

The blend door is something of a bastard job to do. You basically remove the dashboard from the car to replace it. its pretty much a heater core job, and a lot of people will tell you to change the heater core if the BDA has failed because you're already in there. Its $100 worth of parts that takes 4 hours or something to replace. Its not hard, its just very time consuming. I would definitely not jump to doing a blend door without a confirmation that its actually bad.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well I tried the self test and nothing happens I don't know if I did somting wrong or what. I followed all the steps and nothing happend. I need more info. Does the car have to be on or off? Does the ac have to be on? Sorry for being a bother but I just need a lil help.

Comment

engine should need to be running. Reading between the lines, it seems like it doesnt matter what the climate control is set to do though. Once you start the self-test, it quits doing whatever it was doing previously and tests itself. I don't own one of these and I've never tried this, so I'm just taking a guess at it.

Comment

I finally did the test a got codes 024 & 025. Blend door failure. The funny thing is i did it like 3 time the first I had no codes then the second time I got code 024 and the third I got 025. Should I just go ahead and change the blend door? Or what steps should I take now?

Comment

Working...
                    X