Rear muffler question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear muffler question

So I just discovered that my 94 gm ls has glasspack type resonaters right before the tip of the tailpipe as well as the mid way mufflers. Would deleting these rear mufflers and just replacing them with some nice tips make any difference in sound? I'm not expecting much if anything but I have never heard of these mufflers talked about in exhaust videos or anything like that so I'm curious if they are commonly deleted.

Originally posted by JerseyTrueBlue View Post
    So I just discovered that my 94 gm ls has glasspack type resonaters right before the tip of the tailpipe as well as the mid way mufflers. Would deleting these rear mufflers and just replacing them with some nice tips make any difference in sound? I'm not expecting much if anything but I have never heard of these mufflers talked about in exhaust videos or anything like that so I'm curious if they are commonly deleted.
    Not much if any. The '94 Crown Vic you saw while you stopped by sounds exactly like that, and it doesn't have any resonators. Just giving it stock factory duals you'll notice it is a little louder.

Comment

Mostly those are to reduce drone. I remember Scott had a car up there that he added glasspacks in that position to quiet it down more. It made very little difference overall. Drone was a little reduced, overall sound was barely changed.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I wouldnt bother with the resonators. I deleted the pre cats, ran an h-pipe, some cheap Thrush Turbo mufflers and slapped my old Marauder tips on it. Sounds nice.

-ryan s.
        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
        Originally posted by pantera77
        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
          I wouldnt bother with the resonators. I deleted the pre cats, ran an h-pipe, some cheap Thrush Turbo mufflers and slapped my old Marauder tips on it. Sounds nice.

-ryan s.
          It's a different engine but on my 87 Mustang LX I had BBK shorties, BBK offroad H-pipe and Borla Turbo mufflers and it was quiet, I mean barely any rumble at all. It necked down to 2.25" after the H-pipe but still with headers and no cats I figured it woulda been a lot louder. They were u0turn mufflers so the exhaust could come out the sides so that may have been the reason, but after that I figured turbo mufflers were about as quiet as stock.

On my Lincoln i'm debating whether or not to change my setup. I have 4 cats and no mufflers but it's pretty loud for a Lincoln so I may scrap the cats and run just Thrush Turbo's, hopefully that would make it have a very mild rumble during acceleration and silent otherwise.
          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Working...
          X