Tailgate lock issues.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tailgate lock issues.......

I'm having an issue with trying to lock the tailgate. The previous owner removed the power lock actuator but the rest of the rods appear to be attached(as best as I can tell according to my awesome Chilton's manual). The problem is even though I turn the key the door will not lock. So does the upper or lower mechanism actually contain the lock portion? I can't tell what the rod from the lock cylinder is moving in that area. Or does the electric portion have to be in there to make it work?
    1991 CVLX Wagon with 17" Black Bullitts, 1974 AMC Javelin owned since 1985.

the question you fist have to ask is, when the tail gate is shut, do both latchs lock on to the strikers? with the wagons iv owned, the top latch seems to be the problem child. with the tailgate open, use a screwdriver to set the latchs as if they were locked to the strikers. do they stay in the latched position? if yes, see if you can use the key to lock the tailgate. if no, your top latch is prolly sticky or rusty. another thing is, the top lock strikers are common for loosing the plastic piece, which will prevent the top latch from closing all the way.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
      the question you fist have to ask is, when the tail gate is shut, do both latchs lock on to the strikers? with the wagons iv owned, the top latch seems to be the problem child. with the tailgate open, use a screwdriver to set the latchs as if they were locked to the strikers. do they stay in the latched position? if yes, see if you can use the key to lock the tailgate. if no, your top latch is prolly sticky or rusty. another thing is, the top lock strikers are common for loosing the plastic piece, which will prevent the top latch from closing all the way.
      You are THE man! Between the bushing missing and the 1 1/2" sag it had no chance of locking. Rubber hose acting as the bushing and picking up the gate to close it: Viola! It locks! THank you.

Now do you have any suggestions of an easy sag remedy?( I think I already know the answer to this one.)

Comment

tailgate sag? if you want a cheap fix, go with what your thinking lol. other than that, sounds like you require a hinge pin/bushing kit. glad i could help a longroof brothern! lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

How hard are they to replace and what kind would you use for the tailgate? I am assuming that my local Ford stealership probably won't have these just laying around.:smirk:

Comment

yea both latches gotta latch for it to lock, try adjusting the strikers........mostlikely the hinges are getting worn out, what a pita to change them, i have resorted to rebuilding them, cause you cannot find good hinges any more

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

you have a better chance of haveing a litter of kittens then finding a new set of tailgate hardware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              '88' MGM wagon (mine and my sons toy)
              "60" chrysler New Yorker (my project)
              "78" Chevy 1 Ton P/U (yard horse)
              "01" Ford Explorer (wifes DD)
              "93" Chevy Suburban (my DD)

Comment

Working...
              X