Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 MGM 69000 Transmission Slipping when cold

Hello my friends,
    Situation is when initially start car and place in drive there is slipage and hesitation for about a mile. Example is when turning a corner there seems to be no engagement.

Mileage: 69,000
    Daily usage: 50 one way / 100 mile round trip
    Roads: two major hills, 1 - 6% grade for 3 miles, 1 - 4% grade for 2 1/2 miles
    Holds steady speed going up hills, down shift from Overdrive
    Maintenance History is good by first owner (up to 46,000 miles)
    When at light with slight incline can take foot off brake and will stay put
    When at light on flat surface can take off brake and will slowly start to roll after a bit

No signs of major leak (can park over night and not see fluid)
    Added some fluid just the other day and seemed to improve things somewhat

Other items
    1) might have a vaccum leak since engine surges and then idle levels out
    2) No A/C and get lots of heat going up those hills and when accelerating

Any thoughts on issue?
    Thank you,
    Ringting

Is the tv cable bushing intact?

How does the fluid look? How was the level before you added to it? When you check the fluid, do you do it in park, engine warmed up, after having run through every gear?

Have you checked the car for codes? you wouldn't get anything from the transmission but if it's not actually a transmission problem, that might shed some light.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Low fluid level will do that. Mine actually neutral revved while I was driving it once. I noticed I had low fluid so I added some, and it's been fine ever since.
      You're not getting DTCs out of an AOD Josh. A tad bit more TV pressure might help you however.

Comment

yeah I know, about the only thing electrical is the NSS. if it wasn't actually a transmission problem, but an engine problem, codes wouldnt hurt
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Morning,
          Great input and questions. Did not check it in way you described, having run through all of the gears. Dark red is colour. Will pull the codes. Not sure I understand the more TV pressure comment at this moment.

How close to Sackville (Mount A) are you?
          Thanks

The transmission was last serviced on 7/29/2002 at 41,000 miles
          Transmission Service for $65.00 due to "No Power When Push on Accelerator Up Hills". Cause was Transmission Throttle Pressure Cable Disconnected From Mounting.
          10.5 Qts Transmission Oil $21.00
          1 Transmission Filter Kit $15.29 Part Number: T56
          Install New Insulator
          1 Insulator, Trans Throttle $35.00 $4.45

Comment

Originally posted by Ringting View Post

The transmission was last serviced on 7/29/2002 at 41,000 miles
            Transmission Service for $65.00 due to "No Power When Push on Accelerator Up Hills". Cause was Transmission Throttle Pressure Cable Disconnected From Mounting.
            10.5 Qts Transmission Oil $21.00
            1 Transmission Filter Kit $15.29 Part Number: T56
            Install New Insulator
            1 Insulator, Trans Throttle $35.00 $4.45
            So the TV grommet already failed. Unfortunately, when it does that it has tendency to instantly cook the tranny. It seems like all they did was replace the grommet, and change the fluid and filter. Damage was probably already done.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

It has happened to my 1987 GM until I replaced the grommet with a metal one. Sometimes the trany is "done for" and sometimes, if caught early enough it is fine. The problems is, if I recall correctly, the default pressure is zero so without the linkage attached you have no fluid pressure. That is what creates the problem! Bottom line - run it and see what happens!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

well, if it went another 28k miles and 9 years, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the trans didn't blow up from the TV cable being unhooked. It didn't help it any, but if the damage was fatal it probably would have died already. At a minimum, I'd expect it to have lost a gear. If you still have all 4, and it works basically normally, its probably OK. Fluid changes about every 30k are normal, and at 9 years you're probably due for a service anyway. I'd start there and see what happens.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My gut agrees with Gadget73 on this. Thanks for advice.

Issue has got me evaluating the vehicle's life expectancy when this is combined with timing cover leak and enjoying warm air on hot days.

Plan will be to first service tranny and see what happens before doing timing cover. State is still offering $$ to retire. It would make me cry to drop it off.

Comment

trans probably just needs clutches (soft parts rebuild). And yeah... no AC and timing cover leak rather suck.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Morning,
                      Spent the evening reading my Shop Manual (boy-oh-boy is my life exciting!). Feeling a bit more positive about the situation and motivated towards acting on what needs to be done. Today will be spent with vacuum/electrical manual plus reading posts. Both should increase and round out my level of understanding. I welcome any suggestions on links to other materials.

Let the boy child drive car last night and he showed signs of interest in helping me. Anybody else feel the earth's axis shift last night?

I also need help on uploading pictures. Yesterday tried sharing some door striker photos for a second time and again all that happened was circling dots. Are there instructions somewhere on the process?

As always I say thanks for your time and input.
                      Ringting

Comment

Originally posted by Ringting View Post
                        Morning,
                        Spent the evening reading my Shop Manual (boy-oh-boy is my life exciting!). Feeling a bit more positive about the situation and motivated towards acting on what needs to be done. Today will be spent with vacuum/electrical manual plus reading posts. Both should increase and round out my level of understanding. I welcome any suggestions on links to other materials.

Let the boy child drive car last night and he showed signs of interest in helping me. Anybody else feel the earth's axis shift last night?

I also need help on uploading pictures. Yesterday tried sharing some door striker photos for a second time and again all that happened was circling dots. Are there instructions somewhere on the process?

As always I say thanks for your time and input.
                        Ringting
                        Click, 'post reply'. Or on the quick reply area, click, 'go advanced' Below the text box there will be a second box, 'additional options'. In there is a BOLD word that says 'Attachments' Click 'Manage Attachments'. Then when the new window comes up, browse through your computer where the photos are located. If you are uploading more than 1, click the '+' sign and it will add another box. When you're done, click upload, and the photos or other files for that matter will be uploaded to the site.

If you are posting pictures from another site, such as photo bucket, use the 'IMG' format link next to the photo. Or just copy the link and paste it here, then add [ IMG] and [/IMG ] without the spaces and normally that would work too.

Comment

Followed steps and located five photos, clicked Upload, showed 3.59 MB of 95.83 MB Used, then watched those 5 little dots (various shades of grey) circle. Left for 20 minutes and nothing. Using IE 8.

Comment

Did you post them? maybe it's you. clear your cookies and restart it

Comment

try another browser maybe? I've never used IE so I dunno.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X