93 mgm blowing fuse #9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

93 mgm blowing fuse #9

Bought this car a few months ago. Low miles. Replaced starter when bought. Replaced trip and odometer gears couple months ago. Blew the dust from the cruise control switch to get it to work a few weeks ago. Replaced original stereo a few weeks ago. Just the other day noticed I had no dash lights, or front & rear running lights. Found fuse #9 was blown. Replaced it and seemed ok till next time I drove it after dark, and again no dash or running lights. Replaced the fuse again and it blew again right away. Put another fuse in and it blew right away. It seems I have a short somewhere. Figured this is prolly a somewhat routine problem with the mgm. Was wondering could anyone save me some time and point me towards the most likely culprit. Appreciate any help.

Don.
    1993 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L AODE[SIGPIC]sigpic

When you 'replaced' the stereo what did you do? Add an aftermarket one? It's possible if you added an aftermarket radio, you tapped into the wrong wire. I did that with an '88 before. The radio would work, but if I turned on the headlights, the dash light fuse would blow.

Comment

i'llbet it's a visor wire shorted out.......dont just keep replacing the fuse or you will melt the harness like someone i know

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I did replace the stereo with an aftermarket. I got it from Crutchfield and it came with a harness. I consulted with Crutchfield as I installed it, and, as I recall, all the wires were matched correctly. The stereo has prolly been in for about a month now. This blowing fuses just started , like, all at once, and it blows the fuses as soon as the lights are turned on- or within a few seconds.
        So what can you tell me about this visor wire? Where is it located?

Comment

Originally posted by Donal View Post
          I did replace the stereo with an aftermarket. I got it from Crutchfield and it came with a harness. I consulted with Crutchfield as I installed it, and, as I recall, all the wires were matched correctly. The stereo has prolly been in for about a month now. This blowing fuses just started , like, all at once, and it blows the fuses as soon as the lights are turned on- or within a few seconds.
          So what can you tell me about this visor wire? Where is it located?
          The wire for the visor, is in the headliner it's for the light for the sunvisor's vanity mirrors.

Does it blow the fuse with the radio unplugged?

Comment

I don't know. I might be able to reach under the dash and unplug the stereo. It's likely, though, that I'd have to pull it out to unplug it. I'll prolly wind up taking everything apart and pulling the instrument cluster before it's over. Really haven't had time to check it out yet. Hoping it's not going to be a long , painful search to find the problem.

Don.

Comment

I hate wire tracing... good luck.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

take the 3 screws out of each visor mount and check the wire right there for a bare spot, the wire rubs the roof panel's edge and shorts out sometimes

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Had been gone for a week. Am now back and fooling around with this short chasing. Took the screws from the drivers side visor and all looked ok. Can't imagine a short there cause the visors never get used. But , I guess you never know. Took out the driver's side running
                  light(not too hard after figuring out what was going on- took me awhile- nothing about this car is easy) and it looked ok. Put it back together and replaced the fuse and Wow! Everything worked as it was supposed to. Started the motor and noticed the dash lights were dim, so I turned the adjustment to brighten them and Boom! Blew the fuse again. So kinda looks like the next step is taking the dash apart and fooling around in that area. Oh well.

Comment

yup... gotta short somewhere... but it has to be a dimmed light. Check the ashtray light.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                      yup... gotta short somewhere... but it has to be a dimmed light. Check the ashtray light.
                      Or a radio wire.

Comment

Was at a friends place this evening and messing around with the lights. He noticed the driver's side headlight lens had about 3/4 inches of water in it. I think this is likely my problem. Don't know how that much water got in there, but if I ever get the thing out, I'm drilling a couple holes in the bottom. Tried removing the the headlight , but like everything else with this car, it's a whole lot smarter than I am. Did a google search on removing the headlight , so I'm going to be a bit more prepared tomorrow.

Don.

Comment

Originally posted by Donal View Post
                          Was at a friends place this evening and messing around with the lights. He noticed the driver's side headlight lens had about 3/4 inches of water in it. I think this is likely my problem. Don't know how that much water got in there, but if I ever get the thing out, I'm drilling a couple holes in the bottom. Tried removing the the headlight , but like everything else with this car, it's a whole lot smarter than I am. Did a google search on removing the headlight , so I'm going to be a bit more prepared tomorrow.

Don.
                          All those lenses get a fish bowl effect. And, that's not your problem, you're having an issue with dash lights, not headlamps. The circuits are not related in any way. The bulb still lights, it's just like many others that just get filled with water.

Comment

Sounds reasonable to me. But while we're on the subject, I would like to get the water out of there. I was better prepared today, but the clips just don't want to budge. I get the clips spread apart but they won't budge when I try pulling them out. Any tips on this?

Don.

Comment

They should slide upward as you pull them apart.

-ryan s.
                              08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                              94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                              73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                              12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                              Originally posted by pantera77
                              Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
                              X