The possibility of the end of an era...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The possibility of the end of an era...

...as Saturday, for the first time since 2004, I may be PANTHERLESS.

I am looking at a 2011 Jetta TDI.

Mileage and fun are the main factors.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Remember the repeal of don't ask don't tell hasn't kick in yet.
    1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
    2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
      ...as Saturday, for the first time since 2004, I may be PANTHERLESS.

I am looking at a 2011 Jetta TDI.

Mileage and fun are the main factors.
      You're getting rid of the Grand Marquis? :nonono:

Comment

I got first dibbs on GMN!

Just don't do it on december 21,2012...
        Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
        AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
        Open/Lock/Ratio #
        -----------------------
        G / H / 2.26
        B / C / 2.47
        8 / M / 2.73
        7 / - / 3.07
        Y / Z / 3.08
        4 / D / 3.42
        F / R / 3.45
        5 / E / 3.27
        6 / W / 3.73
        2 / K / 3.55
        A / - / 3.63
        J / - / 3.85

Comment

vw is not a cool car, man! be american - buy american.
          '85 Colony Park LS

Comment

I will still have the Edge and the F100!

Keep in mind- i've owned more panthers than most people
            on this site. Will I own another one someday? Maybe. It's time to move on.
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
              I got first dibbs on GMN!

Just don't do it on december 21,2012...
              what's my birthday got to do with anything

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The new commonrail TDI's are great cars, and they haul ass for a four cylinder diesel, but they like to throw check engine lights if you look at them the wrong way. Would spend entire days doing nothing but TDI check engine lights at the dealer. If you get one, just get as much warranty as you can, as they are also very expensive to fix ( I think we did one catalytic converter under warranty, and it was pushing $4k)

I still say go for it, they are great cars to drive, and if you can get the 6 speed, I always found the DSG transmission very clunky and odd feeling in the diesels, they cost $300 to service every 60,000km and are more prone to failure in the TDI's due to the torque...

Pictures to motivate....

sigpicVic Videos Here http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...676#post243676
                Vic's Reader's Rides Page http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=16917
                Vic's Cardomain page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2532949
                1975 Chevy C-10 Cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3371894

Comment

Do it diesel powa

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                  Big plans

Comment

i would keep the grand marquis. vw have horrible electrical gremlins at high miles and when something breaks on them you have to pay double the price on a part(a new clutch is about $500-600 dollars it's rediculous) than that you would have to on a 2009 grand marquis. I honestly say dont do it. keep the grand marquis you just recently got it so why sell it. scottfest and southernfest will not be the same without you in a panther. KEEP THE GRAND MARQUIS the value of it may be worth more than the tdi because mercury just got axed.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by MattsGrandMarquis View Post
                      KEEP THE GRAND MARQUIS the value of it may be worth more than the tdi because mercury just got axed.
                      I love MGMs as much as anyone on the site... however, holding their value is not their strong suit.

FWIW I wouldn't touch a VW with a ten foot pole, but they look and drive nice.
                      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                      Past Panthers
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

There was a time when Tom Baker told me he would never own a new car, because he enjoyed driving old stuff so much.

Once you drive the new stuff, its hard to get into older stuff. I can't blame you at all. My Mom had trouble with her VW, but that is not to say it is the norm.

Buy what you want, and enjoy it! Just share some pictures!

Planning on having it for SF?
                        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Going to know a little more German?

Pete
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                          1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                          1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

A buddy of mine has a new gas Jetta. It is QUICK for a little 4 banger
                            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

for what 10 mpg more highway?
                              keep what you got, stay out of debt.........we are going down the tubes in a big way

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                              X