Clear All

pontiac grand prix

my new multi colored baby.

1996 Pontiac Grand Prix SE coupe
    3100 SFI V6
    4 speed auto w/ OD and a 2nd gear start for winter/ice/crap
    power windows, manual seats
    a/c
    cd player (which is getting replaced with a deck that will accept 1/8" jacks), stock stereo w/ a sub of some manner..it's REALLY bassy for a stock stereo.
    4 wheel disc ABS, alloys
    purple dice

It's getting paint as soon as I either care enough or get bored.

It's a pretty solid car. Comfortable, but the interior plastics are typical 90s GM quality (garbage)

It's not a very fast car but that's not what I bought it for. It's my new runabout daily driver and so far it's been great - good MPG (no highway trips yet though) and comfy.

plans:

new deck so I can listen to my iPhone etc
    lower intake manifold gasket kit
    flush cooling system
    regular maintenance and drive til it won't drive no more
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

and yes I still have the molding for the front fender. it'll go back on after it's all one color.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Go tu-tone! Red on top/white along the bottom.
      '79 Continental Town Car
      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

A few of my friends have told me that I should leave it exactly the way it is, just install the clips for the wheel well molding. I don't really care what it looks like so I might

Got a new Sony Xplod head unit for it yesterday, looks really similar to the one I've had in the LTD for a couple of years. Gonna install it when my mother gets back with the car!
        sigpic

Comment

Whoever changed the oil last is a fucking caveman. I like the little thing under the oil filter on these motors to direct flow of the oil that comes out of the filter. Kinda neat. The same caveman that changed the oil probably saw the blackened air filter and said it was fine.

Went on a road trip and got 24.14 MPG with a few WOT pulls up steep hills but mostly HWY. Changed the oil/fuel/air filters and PCV valve, cleaned the shit out of the intake manifold and throttle body. Did a Seafoam smoke show and with mostly aggressive stop-and-go driving, got 26mpg. Woohoo!
          sigpic

Comment

I've always liked those body style Grand Prix's. One of the last few Pontiac's I thought looked good.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I bought sandpaper, paint, and clear. I got plenty but I think I should probably do it one panel at a time in case I start to run out of something. I just need to wait for a good day.
              sigpic

Comment

also: thanks! I don't like many Pontiacs that aren't GTOs or 2+2s but these little ones are decent looking cars. I can't wait until it's all one fuckin' color and the wheel well flare is on. I need to find clips for it somewhere, and get someone to drill them in for me - I don't want to fuck up the fender.
                sigpic

Comment

Does it have a mini-spare or full-size?
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Full size! Looks to be anyway. Bolt pattern is close to the Ford I think so I could throw one of my spares from that if it's not full size.
                    sigpic

Comment

how many miles on it and has it ever had its intake gaskets changed?
                      2002 Nissan Maxima 6spd 14.2@98mph "it may or may not be street legal"
                      2009 Chevy HHR Panel - My office
                      1988 Lincoln Town Car - The new love of my life

Comment

234k kilometers. no idea what that is in miles. 130 or 140k or something.

don't know if the gaskets have ever been done, but it's not leaking, smoking, or losing coolant. i plan to do them at some point, and will probably stick a 3400 top end on it while I'm at it because why not?
                        sigpic

Comment

actually yeah, I just checked and it's 234,970. 146,003.6 miles.
                          sigpic

Comment

The best way to tell is if there is any coolant stains from leaking down the side of the block. If you are unsure i would just change them. They arent that expensive to do and will help that motor run forever. In the 3 I had, I found that running high octane and keeping up on the oil changes also helps with that motor. Mine lasted to a happy 212k miles until the trans gave out. Its sorta sad, that motor leaked less oil than my much newer maxima today. Btw, I might get shot for this, but i think that is one of the best styled 90s cars out there.
                            2002 Nissan Maxima 6spd 14.2@98mph "it may or may not be street legal"
                            2009 Chevy HHR Panel - My office
                            1988 Lincoln Town Car - The new love of my life

Comment

I'm gonna spray it with engine brite, hit it with a hose, and call it a day
                              Attached Files
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X