The wheel bearing hunt begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wheel bearing hunt begins

So I'm looking for a cheap place to pick up some hubs since the passenger front bearing is shot. I'm thinking about just getting a set in better condition then mine from the yard, just because I'm tight on money right now and don't plan to have to car too much longer. My question is since I have a 94 will I have to look for hubs only from that generation? What model years would work and does anyone know if there are other vehicles they can be taken from to broaden my search? Thanks gmn.
    Last edited by JerseyTrueBlue; 07-14-2011, 09:10 PM.

Have you already checked the usual sources like AutoZone and CarQuest?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Are you sure it ruined the hub? If it just ate the race you can replace those (if you have some good punches), new bearings should come with them. A junkyard hub/rotor might give you bearings not much better off than yours!
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

oops, its a 94... /\ disregard that

I think they interchange from 92-97, but don't quote me on that.
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I told you I can get you hubs. Lol. How're you holding up mang?

Comment

damm i just tossed out a used set

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Im good John and I know you can get them so can I but they are too much. I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible because the thing is so bad it's making the whole car vibrate and pull to the right. I'm not positive what it is which is why I wanted to replace the whole hub, but my Broncos wheel bearing went and it was doing this exact same thing before it finally locked up. Atleast it's not so bad that my rotor is glowing like what happened to the truck lol.

Lincolnmania if you come across another set or if anyone has a cheap source for used parts or whatever let me know. Honestly with all the leaks and what not the cars not worth putting a few hundred dollars worth of parts into, I just need a bearing before this one goes.

Comment

Update I finally found a cheap new set. Summit now has auto extra? ones for 31.95 a piece new. Think I'll be going with these since summit has never failed me. Much cheaper then then 70 a piece timken ones.

Comment

should have priced the duralast hubs......i got one for the 92 for 26 bucks with my discount

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Where did you get those? Summit only has timken, auto extra and somethin else more expensive.

Comment

Duralast = Autozone.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Buying from AutoZone seems to very often save money over mail-ordering stuff, especially individual parts. Not always, of course, but often. And sometimes my local CarQuest sells things cheaper than AutoZone.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, wish there was a carquest by me

Comment

No AZ, or Advance, or O'Reilley's, or AutoValue, or any of those either? Even NAPA is sometimes a better deal than buying online once you take shipping/handling charges into account.

Comment

There is napa, autozone, advance, and pep boys by me and every one of them wants 40-50 for the hubs and summit wants 30 something, not to mention free shipping and handling, I figured you guys knew that lol. I don't know how people get things from napa or autozone for cheaper then mail order, you guys must have huge discounts or something cause I always hear people saying that.

Comment

Working...
                              X