AOD slipping on 1-2 shift and on right turns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOD slipping on 1-2 shift and on right turns

So my 88 Grand Marquis a while ago started slipping between the 1st and 2nd shift and only if i get on her pretty hard, and also it does sometimes too when i'm making a right turn, doesn't matter how fast or slow i'm going either. I bought the tranny used out of junkyard so i am unaware of the milage. TV cable is adjusted correctly and fluid looks perfect with no discoloration or odor. Could it possibly be an issue in the valve body? If not does anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks for any help!!

It could be an issue with the valve body or the thing in the middle of the two halves, which the name escapes me right now. The trans fluid level is properly filled yes?

Comment

Thing in the middle of the two halves is called the separator plate.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

mine will slip out of gear sometimes when I corner hard or haul ass over a hump in the road that nearly bottoms out the car. I think it's mainly due to the fluid lifting in the trans and creating a low pressure event.

Yours may have low fluid levels (check with engine at operating temp (warmed up) and after shifting through the gears a few times).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          Thing in the middle of the two halves is called the separator plate.
          I honestly just remembered what it was called as I clicked on this thread. Thanks though lol.

Comment

Was the trans recently serviced? If someone put the filter in there without the gasket, it does funny things that act like a low fluid level.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've checked the fluid level and its right where it it supposed to be and I haven't had the tranny serviced but when I installed it in the vehicle I did change the fluid and put a new filter in and I know I put the gasket in. Do you guys have any idea what to look to look for in the valve body and seperator plate?

Comment

just to confirm, I'm talking about the little gasket between the filter and the valve body, not the pan gasket.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  just to confirm, I'm talking about the little gasket between the filter and the valve body, not the pan gasket.
                  Oh yeah, that can make stuff act weird too. Also if you overtighten the filter it'll do weird shit too.

Comment

or if you don't remove the old gasket (I've heard that one too).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ok thanks for the help! Do you think it would be worth a shot to just replace the valve body while I have it apart? I have the old AOD transmission yet that originally was in the car when I bought it. I had to replace it because when I bought the car the rubber bushing had fallen off the throttle body for the TV cable. Would it be worth it to try to replace it with this one or do you think that valve body would be toast with the aftermath of the TV linkage falling off and all?

Comment

Originally posted by 88mercgrandmarq View Post
                        Ok thanks for the help! Do you think it would be worth a shot to just replace the valve body while I have it apart? I have the old AOD transmission yet that originally was in the car when I bought it. I had to replace it because when I bought the car the rubber bushing had fallen off the throttle body for the TV cable. Would it be worth it to try to replace it with this one or do you think that valve body would be toast with the aftermath of the TV linkage falling off and all?
                        It could be fine. Just make sure you clean it really good. And for the love of god and all that is holy, use lint free rags!

Comment

haha oh yes i know that! my teacher in engine's class in school told us this and I believe him. Especially when you start thinking about how delicate and serious the work is of a valve body

Comment

Make sure what years the transmissions are. They are not all the same and the valve bodies don't neccesarily interchange. Theres a sticky over at clickclickracing that explains the differences in transmissions by year, and it goes over what will interchange with what.

Comment

Originally posted by 88mercgrandmarq View Post
                              haha oh yes i know that! my teacher in engine's class in school told us this and I believe him. Especially when you start thinking about how delicate and serious the work is of a valve body
                              Red Rag disease. That's a scary filter, right after the trans was rebuilt and it burned up every gear.

Comment

Working...
                              X