Non-starting Mystery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-starting Mystery!

Have a 1995 GM that has a new starter/alternator/battery. Approx 186K and every few months it has a non-start condition. I could start it, let it run or drive around town for a couple of hours and park it. Without touching it the next time it won't start and not even "click". We are talking like you removed the battery! Cleaned and re-tightened the bat cables at the battery and starter (the cable to the starter is also new). Check for "draws" and can not find a single one. I'll put a jump starter on it and it fires right up! Seems like a bad connection but I'll be dammed if I can find it! Any thoughts???? Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

whats the little wire at the starter look like? Sometimes that gets fuzzy and causes this problem.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Is there more than one wire to the starter? Thought there was only one and it was changed. The factory one had a TSB saying to change it in case of difficulties.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

2 wires on the starter. The battery feed and the s terminal. When you say it 'acts as if the battery is removed', you're saying that the interior lights and stuff cut out as well?

Comment

yeah, on a 95 it has a fat wire to the battery, and a smaller wire as a trigger for the solenoid. I think its 14 ga or something and has a push-on terminal. If you've ever worked on a Chevy starter, its pretty much exactly the same down there.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes, when it is "acting up" there are no interior lights and even the light under the hood is out! If a wire to the starter was bad wouldn't you get interior or under hood lights??

Comment

My usual cause for that sort of thing is a flaky neutral safety switch.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Now THAT is not something I would have thought of but how does that affect the under hood light not coming on and the fact that jumping the car starts it right up???

Comment

When this happens what is the voltage at the battery? If you have plenty of juice there, I would start checking grounds (cleaning and tightening).
                  2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                  2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                  Past Panthers
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                  if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Working...
                  X