removing air conditioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing air conditioning

ok, i don't ever use my air conditioning at all, never, i'm a windows down type of dude so i don't need it.. a friend told me so why don't u just take it out, it'll give you more power.. so i've decided that's what i wanna do. i want to completely remove my air conditioning components.
    i don't know much about how to do this, but i assume i'll need a new smaller serpentine belt afterwards, some plugs/stoppers or whatever, but other then that i don't really know...
    has anyone ever done this before, and does anyone have any advice or instructions for removing air conditioning?
    oh and the car is a '96 grand marquis.. thanks
    Prominente

WTF? You like to stink like ball juice? Last time I went through Kansas it was a solid 95 and humid as shit. If I lived there I'd definitely have my A/C kickin. Since that's obviously not your preference though, you'll gain no power by removing it. Just turning it off restores most of the power, you're talking like 1 or 2 hp. Then when it's time to sell the car who wants to buy a car with no A/C?
    1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

You want my advice? Don't...
      Way too much work if you want to properly remove everything. Including dropping the dash to get the evaporator core out, and removing the radiator so you can get to the condensor. Just keep the A/C off and roll your windows down.

Comment

haha ok yall.. i appreciate it lol
        Prominente

Comment

Your A/C compressor uses a clutch on the front of the pulley. When the A/C is off, or the clutch is unplugged, the pulley just acts as an idler, really. It takes almost no effort to turn.

When the clutch is engaged, the compressor is actually turned, and that does take some effort, which is why the car may feel less powerful with the A/C on.

If you leave your A/C off, and want to make sure the clutch doesn't engage, unplug the connector on top of your A/C compressor. If the system is low, or there is no refregerant, the compressor won't come on anyway.

If you want to remove the air conditioning components to clean up under the hood, and improve maintenance access, that is understandable.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
            Your A/C compressor uses a clutch on the front of the pulley. When the A/C is off, or the clutch is unplugged, the pulley just acts as an idler, really. It takes almost no effort to turn.

When the clutch is engaged, the compressor is actually turned, and that does take some effort, which is why the car may feel less powerful with the A/C on.

If you leave your A/C off, and want to make sure the clutch doesn't engage, unplug the connector on top of your A/C compressor. If the system is low, or there is no refregerant, the compressor won't come on anyway.

If you want to remove the air conditioning components to clean up under the hood, and improve maintenance access, that is understandable.
            Can't see it improving maintenance access, since everything is accessed from the top of the engine on a 4.6 (spark plugs) etc.

Comment

Working...
            X