vents blow cool air while a/c is in off position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vents blow cool air while a/c is in off position

i got a '96 grand marquis. has manual a/c, not automatic.. and while a/c is in off position, it still blows out a small amount of cool air.. small amount tho, but it seems the a/c doesnt completely turn off.. any ideas what could be the cause of this and a way to fix it?
    Prominente

When you have the selector in 'off' it's blowing cold air on you?

Comment

pretty much yea.. while in off position, i can still feel cool air coming from the vents yes. but small amount, if i put my hand a few inches away from the vent i can definitely feel the cool air..
      Prominente

Comment

vents open... some air will flow into the system from outside when moving. If it's still blowing a little when not moving... somethings wrong with the AC brain.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yea it happens when not moving, car is completely still and i can even hear the a/c to some extent when it should be off.. now granted, its not like freezing air coming out, its cool air, but in this temp, even a fan could feel like cool air... nonetheless, air is blowing from the vents while in off position and car is stationary
          Prominente

Comment

Sounds like a wiring issue. With the blower motor.

Comment

or the vent lever OFF setting isn't actually turning the stuff off (AC Brain).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                or the vent lever OFF setting isn't actually turning the stuff off (AC Brain).
                There is no AC brain, it's just a switch.

Comment

the blend door lever actuator is a brain of sorts as it controls power to the fan switch as well as all the vacuum to the vents. Just because it's not electronic doesn't mean it's not a brain.

at least that's what it's called in my 88. I don't know if it's the same in a 96... so I used a generic term for the part that controls all the vents and whether the fan switch gets power or not.
                  Last edited by sly; 07-26-2011, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                    the blend door lever actuator is a brain of sorts as it controls power to the fan switch as well as all the vacuum to the vents. Just because it's not electronic doesn't mean it's not a brain.

at least that's what it's called in my 88. I don't know if it's the same in a 96... so I used a generic term for the part that controls all the vents and whether the fan switch gets power or not.
                    Interesting. I've never heard it called the brain in any of my literature on my '86.

Comment

umm... duh... I just said a generic term... they don't use generic terms in books. and since I'm not always top of the class with terminology, I use whatever comes to my brain first. Instead of being an ass, why not ask WTF I mean.

remember, I'm not a learned automotive tech... I'm just a gearhead techie that works on his own crap. I don't always know or remember what the hell a part is called.
                      Last edited by sly; 07-26-2011, 07:06 PM.

Comment

ok ok, so how would i go about fixing this so my a/c turns off when its supposed to? where is the "a/c brain" or "blend door lever actuator" whatever its called located? and how would i go about determining if that's in fact the issue and then fixing it?
                        Prominente

Comment

Originally posted by p1n View Post
                          ok ok, so how would i go about fixing this so my a/c turns off when its supposed to? where is the "a/c brain" or "blend door lever actuator" whatever its called located? and how would i go about determining if that's in fact the issue and then fixing it?
                          It's the heater control panel. The thing where you select where you want air to come out, and what fan speed you want.

Comment

yeah... find the part with all the vacuum lines plugged into it. It's probably worn out on the part that the vent control lever (Off, Vent, AC, etc) plugs into.

Comment

Working...
                            X