80' suzuki GS550L ''snowman''

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80' suzuki GS550L ''snowman''

Here is what I picked up on trade for the 2.3 mustang. I know the mustang was probably worth more blah blah blah, I honestly don't care. I have been looking for an air/oil cooled 4 cylinder bike of this generation for a long time, and ive got one hahahahahaha hmmm excuse me. Anyway like the title says 1980 suzuki GS550L, 16,000 on the clock. The engine is a little on the small side for my taste but it will work.

The reason for the name snowman. When I brought it home. It had no lisence plates, insurance, and I dont have my motorcycle lisence or permit at the moment. So my dad followed me home running blocker. He was the bandit and I the ''snowman''. Thats how it got the name.

It needs a little work, but should keep my hands off the focus so that will be good. I rode it home it doesnt really want to pull into the upper rpm and you have to baby it to ride it, I have diagnosed it to carb problems mostly.

general maintenance and things I will be doing to it.

cleaning the gas tank
    replacing the petcock
    rebuilding the carbs
    adjust the valves
    new spark plugs
    new plug wires
    new coils
    new ignition
    new chain
    new front and rear sprockets
    new clutch cable
    new throttle assembly
    new throttle cable
    rewire the whole bike to my liking

Once all that is done, ride the wheels off. Then this winter probably some visual mods. Clean everything up, paint, handle bars, solo seat, bob it possibley. Who knows, one thing I do know, I am in love with this bike for some reason lol.

Pics

Thats it for now. Probably wont touch it till after scottfest I am saving my money for gas and such. Enjoy.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Those are good runnin' little bikes.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I haven't been able to open it up yet. But numbers say it should do alright. 50hp and 800lbs with me on it. I'm gonna drop two teeth on the front sprocket since I'm a big guy and it's a small engine.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
      Big plans

Comment

Well Ive been messing with it here and there. I started taking the stuff off that needs to come off. Every fuse on the bike was wrapped with aluminum foil lol. Got the carbs pulled off and pulled the bowls off of them just to see what I was working with, The main jet was laying in the bowl on the #1 carb. That would explain why the #1 cylinder was so rich lol. The clutch was poorly adjusted and a real bear to pull. So I started to adjust it and noticed the actuator on the side of the engine had a grease zerk on it, So I pumped it full of grease. Then sprayed a bunch of PB blaster inside the cable and worked the clutch about 1000 times lol. Boom, smooth working properly adjusted clutch lol. Its pretty stripped right now. I will see if I can upload some pics tonight.

I'm so ready to get this thing on the road.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
        Big plans

Comment

Been messing with suzi a little, did a little chopping. I cut off the back section of the frame and cut off some brackets. Its going to be fenderless front and back. Running a flat seat with a little kick up at the back. I have also decided to ditch the stock air box and run pod filters.

Anywho how bout some pics

rear fender and turn signals off

front fender off

testing out the riding postion with a flat seat and the bars up

rear of the frame cut off, The front fender was on the back in this pic but I decided not to run it

Thats about it for now. Still a little trimming and chopping, and of course general maintenance lol.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

Well a bit of an update. I've got just about everything ordered. I've got the carbs clean, ordered rebuild kits and a stage 3 dynojet kit, pod filters, cut off the mufflers. Still not sure what I'm doing with the exhaust but I know for sure I don't want the stock mufflers lol. Picked up some stuff from tc bros choppers, license plate mount and tail light, lane splitter handle bars, throttle assembly and grips, a chrome 3/8 npt petcock and petcock adpter. Also have a gold 530 chain, new sprockets are here, stock rear and -2 front. That changes the gear ratio from a 3.33 to a 3.85. I've found a guy to cover my seat pan I made. Running no front brakes for the moment to see if I can hendle it or not. I'm working on a pretty elaborate paint job on the gas tank. Other than that it's all assembly and wiring from this point. Pics as soon as I can.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
            Big plans

Comment

Nice!!!!!!!!!

Im looking for something similar, the scooter has been fun but I need to go faster
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

So all the carbs are nice and clean with bigger jets and all that lol. Now im to the point of wiring the bike (aka cut everything off and make my own). I have a spare engine wiring harness that came on my zc engine I swapped into one of my old civics, so I think im goin to sacrifice it to make the new wiring harness for the motorcycle. So the plan is to cut up the zc harness and use it for my bike, I am also ordering a giant weather pack assorment, every connector on the bike will be gm weather pack style. While im doing the wiring I will also be installing a new fuse block. It uses glass fuses stock and I am changing it over to modern blade style fuses. Thats about it so... here are some pics of how its looking with the carbs on with pod filters, the lane splitter handle bars and no front brake.

New handle bars

new OEM carb holders

carbs assembled

gas tank stripped

tank before liner

after using kreem tank liner

No front brake

The second mock up seat, the final product will have even more kick up at the back

carbs on with pod filters

from the back

from the top

from the side

A full side shot of the bike at the moment

Thats where the snowman has made it so far lol, more updates soon.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                Big plans

Comment

A little progress. I pulled the carbs back off, pulled the whole wiring harness, pulled the gauges and ignition switch. I had to order a new stock throttle assy, as my tc bros one was not compatable. I ordered a new regulator/rectifier its an FH012 mosfet style from a new r1, ordered a mini fuse box/ground distribution, To check it out go to www.easternbeaver.com its the PC-8. I think thats about it at the moment Ive been super busy with other stuff.

Pics

Wiring and carbs all pulled

Front end cleaned up guages wiring and any other unneeded bullshit gone

I think its sexy, dont you?

Thats its for now kids. Enjoy.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                  Big plans

Comment

very sexy! I love the wheels!

I couldn't find a decent bike for under a grand, so I bought a big boy scooter. lol...
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

very sexy! I love the wheels!

I couldn't find a decent bike for under a grand, so I bought a big boy scooter. lol...
                      sigpic

Comment

They are hard to come by, most around here in the $1000 range are total junk.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                        Big plans

Comment

I had one of those. Bought it new in '80 at the Salt Lake City dealership. Traded my Suzuki GT550 triple in on it. I drove it from April to mid December that first year. Was a great bike.
                          sigpic
                          2009 GM, 45,000 miles
                          ADDCO Sway Bars, METCO Control arms & Watts link, KYB CVPI shocks, 3.27 Track Lock, GT500 wheels, Eagle F1 Supercar tires, Walker dual exhaust, AFE Cold Air intake, ADTR ported upper manifold, Stillen Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Hypertech Programmer, 93 tune.

Comment

Working...
                          X