Aluminum driveshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aluminum driveshaft

Does anyone know if there are any j/y shafts that fit an aod wagon?

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

grab one out of an aero.
    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
      grab one out of an aero.
      Is it a direct swap?

What years encompass the aero cars?

Thanks

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

I've seen both boxes and Aeros with aluminum driveshafts, the driveshaft out of a box will work.

The driveshaft out of an Aero is probably a bolt in, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I've got one in my car that came from an 89 CV.

Boxes 1979-1991

Aeros 1992-1997

Comment

thanks

Comment

Double-check to make sure of what people do on sedans, and then put it in your wagon. Zero difference drivetrainwise in a wagon and a normal sedan.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I put a plain old box one in mine
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

you can use aero ones but you have to swap the axle flange (or is it the yoke flange?) and use a special U-joint, there is a part number for the u-joint around somewhere
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                  you can use aero ones but you have to swap the axle flange (or is it the yoke flange?) and use a special U-joint, there is a part number for the u-joint around somewhere

Do you mean the pinion flange?

I installed 4.10's not long ago & they are perfect, I sure don't want to disturb that!

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                    I put a plain old box one in mine
                    Is it a direct swap from box to box?

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
                      Do you mean the pinion flange?

I installed 4.10's not long ago & they are perfect, I sure don't want to disturb that!
                      No Im pretty sure you can leave that alone. The driveshaft end that mates to that - you swap the box one onto the aero driveshaft, so you need the funky U-joint to mate the two parts that weren't meant to be together.
                      Might be the one on the other end, I can't remember, lol
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Does anyone know if there are any j/y shafts that fit an aod wagon?
                        I have found several aluminum shafts under 90-91 GMs. The P72 did not use an aluminum shaft. I can only tell you that I have not found anything but a box shaft which was exactly the same length as other box shafts. P71 shafts are going to be shorter but standard Aero shafts are close. I don't have a measurement for an alumimum Aero shaft which is not a P71 except for the oddball 92. It is possible that they are so close that it does not matter. The only aluminum driveshaft which I would recommend you absolutely stay away from is the 92 AOD shaft. It is the longest Panther shaft and definitely not recommended to be used in a box.
                        Last edited by Mercracer; 08-18-2011, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                          No Im pretty sure you can leave that alone. The driveshaft end that mates to that - you swap the box one onto the aero driveshaft, so you need the funky U-joint to mate the two parts that weren't meant to be together.
                          Might be the one on the other end, I can't remember, lol
                          The transmission slip yoke is larger on a 4R70W. You would have to use the combination joint on that end if you were to use the AOD slip yoke and a P71 aluminum shaft.

Comment

Is it a direct swap from box to box?
                            Box Vic/Marquis shafts seem to be all the same length except if it's an early car that came with a C4 transmission. The C4 shaft is slightly longer.
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Mustangs use the same driveshaft length for V8s and the C-4, AOD, T5, SROD. There is only about 1/2" length difference overall between the shorter C-4 and the AOD.

Comment

Working...
                              X