Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2001 GM - I gotta replace the front passenger door glass. Any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2001 GM - I gotta replace the front passenger door glass. Any tips?

I gotta replace my passenger front door glass. I hope to do it this evening. Anyone else done this before? Any problems or tips on how to expedite the process?
    '01 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4.6L
    '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

center punch to tap (and I mean tap... don't hammer it or the glass will break) the center of the rivet out... then a quarter inch drill to dill out the rivets. Replace with quarter inch nuts and bolts with lock washers and thread locker. You'll want the window about half way down... rotate the front end of the window downward to remove/insert in the door and align in the guides about half to a third of the way down. Then bolt back together. I've had to change the regulators 4 times on my 93 now (front doors only... 2 times per side) and removing the glass is part of the process. PITA, but it's not that tedious.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Oh boy....ok. I gotta pick up the glass today from the junkyard cuz it wasnt ready yesterday.

I went out and looked again, it appears to have only 2 rivets? The rear one (closest to the rear of the car) seems ok to get to. The front one is only accessble by a litle square cut-out in the door framing so I think that one is gonna be a bitch to handle.

The glass in there now is already broke. It completely shattered so there are only a few fragments still attached to the regulator. Should that change my approach on removal at all? Could I take the regulator out of the door to drill the rivets out or would that be too much hassle?

I assume the glass has holes already there for the rivets-1/4" bolts to go through to secure it?

Thanks for all of the info.
      '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Also, what length do the 1/4" bolts need to be to secure the glass to the regulator?
        '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

I used 1" bolts... they're a little long... 3/4" would probably do it... but there's plenty of clearance both sides... so whatever works. I had the one inchers on hand.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks man. I had to use 1" bolts. 3/4" didn't have enough thread for the nut to grab on to. If I had not used locking washers there probably would have been enough thread there to use 3/4" bolts. But all is good and done is done.

This thread on crownvic.net also helped me quite a bit. http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...Number=1698650

vBulletin Message
            You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to slymer again.
            '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Working...
            X