Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steel Wheels

Hello,
    First: Great forum you've got here. I had an 80s Monte Carlo before my Grand Marquis, and I found lots of help w upkeep on the forum dedicated to that, montecarloss.com. I now have a 2008 Grand Marquis and I love it. It's silver birch, with a black leather interior and those fat 9-spoke chrome rims? So good.

Anyway, I want that chrome to look good for the duration of my owning the car (which looks like it's going to be the better part of a decade.) Before winter hits, I'm trying to get a set of steel wheels, snow tires and maybe center caps. I see these on police and taxi Crown Vics all the time. I asked a cop today if I could have a look at his sidewall. They were 17" wheels. So what I'd like to know is:

- Any preferred wheel size for my application? It looks like 90s Marq/Vics had 15" wheels, post-2000 had 16" (incl mine,) and now I've learned that 17" wheels were made too. I know gas mileage can be a thing, and gear ratios, and a particular wheel diameter is usually best. Right? I'd like to keep it over 20 mpg year round if possible.

- Any idea where I can find a set of these? Any fleet auction would probably entail buying the car they're connected to. Junkyards?

- Other cars that would have compatible steel wheels? Browsing Craigslist, I found ads for wheels off a Chevy HHR and a Toyota (Previa?):

http://albany.craigslist.org/pts/2560692671.html

http://albany.craigslist.org/pts/2517838049.html

Thanks for reading! Maybe I will take photos of my car soon and post them.

I'd go with the 16" steel wheels and 225/60/16 or 235/60/16 tires. Junkyard is the place for wheels as long as you get ones that aren't bent.

Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

You could try CL under car parts. I just got lucky and scored a set of 4 P71 16x7 steelies in very good condition with 225-60s for $100 (asking price $125). The tires (Contis, I think - didn't pay much attention) look decent and have a good bit of tread remaining (I'm guessing police dept 50% rule). I plan to mount studded Firestone Winterforce on the rims for use 2-3 months/year. Not sure what I'll do with the tires, I may try to sell them as a set, or use one to replace my puny spare and save the rest for Justin Case. At $25 per rim/tire I'm not all that concerned with covering my cost :smirk:
      Warning - CL for any item related to cars is haunted by far more lying a-holes than honest brokers, and the site policy seems to encourage this.
      -VG

Originally posted by lf979883 View Post
      Hello,
      - Any idea where I can find a set of these? Any fleet auction would probably entail buying the car they're connected to. Junkyards?
      2003 Grand Marquis LS Premium White/Light Flint Leather - "Moby Dick". Box stock for now.

Comment

Yeah CL is a good place to look. Or the JY. Wheel and tire size doesn't make a huge difference on fuel economy, unless you make a more drastic change. But generally with stock gear/axle ratios; smaller tires give you slightly better acceleration, while hurting your fuel economy (RPM's higher). Larger tires slow your acceleration, but give you higher MPG (RPM's lower). But all of those are miniscule, unless you change your tire size by a few inches. MPG's around town aren't affected much, the highway is where you might see a very slight change.

98+ Panthers need at least 16" wheels. 15" won't clear the brakes.

I would go with 16's just because tires (and rims) are cheaper and easier to find. Not to mention that then you can get the correct stock size 225/60 or 235/60 and have your speedo be the same.

The rim size is 16x7. The bolt pattern is 5x114.3mm (5x4.5").

That said, wheels that have the same bolt pattern:

Ford Escape/Merc. Mariner, Mustangs(94+), Rangers, and Explorers also had this pattern. Most were aluminum wheels, but some were steelies. But you have to pay attention, because the wheels used on those vehicles ranged from 14-18"
        1998-07 Explorers and some Rangers had 16" A lot of the Explorers/Rangers came with center caps similar to the CVPI.
        The earlier Mustang GT's (1994-1999/00) use 16" rims as the base wheel. The Base (V6) Mustangs from 2000/01+ use 16" wheels. Most any of these 16" wheels will fit fine.

Chrysler Concorde/LHS/Intrepid have 5x114.3

Almost all 5-bolt Japanese cars (Nissan, Toyota/Lexus, Mitsub., Honda, etc) have a 5x114.3 pattern as far as I can remember. However finding these in 16" is little harder, plus the wheels are usually a little skinnier.

You'd have to test fit and/or measure to see, if you find any of these, to see if they fit correctly.

European cars do not use any 5x114.3's (Generally 5x100/112/120).

GM (Chevy/Buick/Old/Pontiac/Saturn)- Wheels from one 5 bolt car hardly has any compatibility with another car with a 5 bolt pattern. They do not have any 5x114.3's (but some 5x115).

Cadillac cars use a 5x115mm pattern. Which is usually also listed as a 5x4.5" (115mm is actually 4.52"). I'm not sure if these wheels will fit. I doubt it. But my dad has his old '02 SLS (with an intake leak and blown Torque Converter) sittin in the driveway (he replaced it with a Silver 2005 Grand Marq). I'm interested to try and see if they will actually fit on my car. :heyhey:

*I have too much time on my hands*
        1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
        1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

On the cadillac wheels they do physically fix but the offset is way off.

Comment

Get the 16" steelies. The winter tires will be a little cheaper than running 17's. Plus they have a little more side wall as well.
            I run 17"s Mustang GT wheels in the summer and run 15 steelies in the winter. Wrapped with Firestone Winterforce tires. I love those things.

Oh, way to bring the thread back!!!

-ryan s.
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Lol just thought I'd throw the info out since I tryed them a few days ago and every set of cvpi rims around here seem to be bent to hell.

Comment

What year/ size are you looking for? And are you planning to go the Akron meet next month?

-ryan s
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

98-02 interceptor steel wheels or a halfway decent pair of hhp's and yea I plan on being there

Comment

I can see if my buddy has a set in his yard and if they're in decent shape, I can pick them up for you. If you want.

-ryan s.
                    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Sounds good just shoot me a pm when you know what he has. Thanks

Comment

No prob.

-ryan s.
                        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

For the op - any 03+ Crown vic/ marquis wheels will work and fit right. 02 and older wheels have the wrong offset.
                          2003 Crown Vic - Stainless Works Longtubes + 2.5" exhaust, 19" C/S Wheels, 70MM TB
                          2004 Dodge Ram 2500, Yeah, It's got a Hemi
                          2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab

Comment

Working...
                          X