factory amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

factory amp

Ok on my 88 GM with premium sound I have an aftermarket head unit cuz the factory one went out. I know the amp in the trunk still works but I have it bypassed with a connector I got from best buy. What I'm wondering is if I can run my aftermarket head unit through the factory amp I know if I do it the way its currently hooked up I don't get any sound but maybe I missed something?
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
    Ok on my 88 GM with premium sound I have an aftermarket head unit cuz the factory one went out. I know the amp in the trunk still works but I have it bypassed with a connector I got from best buy. What I'm wondering is if I can run my aftermarket head unit through the factory amp I know if I do it the way its currently hooked up I don't get any sound but maybe I missed something?
    Should be able to use it. However, you'll need to hack up the coaxial cable to do so. Little tiny wires for the speaker inputs.

Comment

I've got the wiring diagram somewhere... the inputs and the outputs for the amp are not the same at all.
      The outputs are of course 8 in number: your 4 speakers, (+) and (-); but the inputs were something like (+) and (-) for front and back -it only splits after the amp- and the other 4 wires were probably positive, ground, and two other things i have no clue of.

Anyway, if you took speakers left, right, +, -, and put them into the amp, and then coming out of the amp, it's just going to be very confused

But the factory amp is crap anyway. Buy almost any aftermarket amp and use that instead of taking time to reuse the factoryo one.

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
        I've got the wiring diagram somewhere... the inputs and the outputs for the amp are not the same at all.
        The outputs are of course 8 in number: your 4 speakers, (+) and (-); but the inputs were something like (+) and (-) for front and back -it only splits after the amp- and the other 4 wires were probably positive, ground, and two other things i have no clue of.

Anyway, if you took speakers left, right, +, -, and put them into the amp, and then coming out of the amp, it's just going to be very confused

But the factory amp is crap anyway. Buy almost any aftermarket amp and use that instead of taking time to reuse the factoryo one.
        The premium sound wiring from 88+ is not common ground. There are two wires for each speaker. And a power and a ground for the amp.

Comment

Give this a shot. It takes your radio's RCA Preamp outs and sends them to the factory amp. http://www.metraonline.com/part/70-5510

Click image for larger version

Name:	plug.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	1267655
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

yessir, thats exactly what you need. No hacking involved, it just plugs right into the factory harness and everything works like magic n stuff.

That said, the 88 premium sound amp may not be much better than the aftermarket HU's amp. I'd possibly consider upgrading it to the JBL amp. More power, and it plugs straight in.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              yessir, thats exactly what you need. No hacking involved, it just plugs right into the factory harness and everything works like magic n stuff.

That said, the 88 premium sound amp may not be much better than the aftermarket HU's amp. I'd possibly consider upgrading it to the JBL amp. More power, and it plugs straight in.
              ill prolly just stick with the aftermarket HU and maybe someday get ambitious enough to pull out the back seat and unbolt the premium sound amp. Right now im trying to work up enough ambition to replace the bushings in the rear power window motors but im too lazy to drive 10 miles to pick up a 1/2" drill bit.
              2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                yessir, thats exactly what you need. No hacking involved, it just plugs right into the factory harness and everything works like magic n stuff.That said, the 88 premium sound amp may not be much better than the aftermarket HU's amp. I'd possibly consider upgrading it to the JBL amp. More power, and it plugs straight in.
                JBL amp plugs right in? What vintage JBL amp, doesn't the JBL use funky cables?There's a TC in the yard that has it, I don't recall what year though.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

If you have the square amp with the small input cable that has a bunch of pins, its a direct swap. If its the older football shaped amp with the larger square plugs and normal looking wires, it won't swap.

You want 80s towncar or 87-92 Mark VII. Some Taurus Continentals might also work, but it has to be the kind with a single large amp and no sub, not the 2 smaller amps with a sub. 90s Towncars tend to be the 2 amp with a sub setup.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the info.....

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Only difference is with the JBL, it uses a constant hot for the amp. Different wire in the harness.

Comment

Working...
                      X