ltb Variable Venturi Carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ltb Variable Venturi Carb

Hey guys! Its been soo long since i made any posts. I still love these cars and unfortunately for those who remember I had to let go of my fire dept wagon (the banna boat). I of course still have my 89 p72 and my 80 Tudor. Well I need a freaking carb for my green tudor (green gem). I have 2 of them but both really suck and are nothing but scrap weight... My carb on the car is really getting hard to warm up. When I first crank it it smokes and have to rev it like crazy to clear it up. Its over loading. Not burning oil. After it warms (about 5 mins of reving and clearing out carb) up its fine. no problems. I can crank it back and still fine. Agervating. lol. But anyways if anyone has a decent one laying around collecting dust just let me know. you can call or txt me. 336-425-4943. Im gonna try to start getting on here more. Im sereious guys. miss this site.

rebuild one. or put a 2bbl in it.

Comment

revved up like a deuce...

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Don't waste your money on VVs . They will never be right. They were not any good new. 2bbls are the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
          Don't waste your money on VVs . They will never be right. They were not any good new. 2bbls are the way to go.
          I've seen an exception. lol

Comment

i had a 2bbl on my 84 vic 351.......ran real well........80's econoline with aod carb should work

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I went the 4bbl route with my 91 P71. Runs great, just a little hard to start when it's warm.
              1991 LTD P72 351 W Restored Century Police (Ongoing Project) Sergeant Vic.

It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Comment

Nathan in MI posted an interesting thread 2-3 years back about rebuilding a VV. Claimed it worked pretty good when he was done, but there were some annoyances and weirdnesses because VVs are so different than any normal carb.

As for buying one, I can't see it being worth it. Assuming your car came with a VV to start with, why do you want to install another one?
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

If you're willing to rebuild I have a complete Ford rebuild kit and at least one Ford booklet I would be willing to sell for the original purchase price.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Would a Motorcraft 4300 4bbl swap out with the VV?

T.A. Malpass 83 LTD Crown Victoria P43

Comment

it would require as much modification as a holley or edelbrock.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

You can basically put on any carb you please as long as you're willing to install a suitable manifold. Some guys have used Autolite four-barrels, but I'm not sure why. I got a good deal on a Carter Performance Series (same as Edelbrock Performer) for one of my cars, and it works OK, but Holley-based designs seem to be what most people are focusing on these days.
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                          You can basically put on any carb you please as long as you're willing to install a suitable manifold. Some guys have used Autolite four-barrels, but I'm not sure why. I got a good deal on a Carter Performance Series (same as Edelbrock Performer) for one of my cars, and it works OK, but Holley-based designs seem to be what most people are focusing on these days.
                          I've got the manifold, an Elelbrock. There's a 4300 available cheap, so wondering if it would work as a simple swap or need something like the lokar bracket.

yes, I'm broke. Otheriwse, there'd be a 400 hp 427 with fuel injection sitting under the hood.

Comment

I don't think a 4-barrel was ever paired with an AOD, and anything not paired with an AOD will require messing about with the aftermarket TV bracketry or fabbing your own.

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                              I don't think a 4-barrel was ever paired with an AOD, and anything not paired with an AOD will require messing about with the aftermarket TV bracketry or fabbing your own.

That's what I was wondering. Thanks!

if it was a direct swap, I'd have a VV available for this chap.

Comment

Working...
                              X