cruise control mod inquiry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cruise control mod inquiry

I like the on-wheel controls for the Ford CC system, ntm that since it is the same as on my F250, I didn't need to unlearn any habits. There is one feature that I would like that isn't provided by FMC, however. That is the ability to suspend cruise without tapping the brake pedal. For example, most recent Asian cars (and GMs, I think) are controlled by a stalk on the rh side of the steering wheel; pulling straight back on the stalk suspends cruise. If Ford has a separate switch for CC activated by the brake pedal, this could be as simple as wiring in a second switch (obviously the suspension of cruise when the brake pedal is depressed needs to remain). If the same switch that suspends cruise activates the brake lights, it could be a lot more complicated (or not feasible at all). Is there anyone here who has made this mod, or knows anough about the wiring harness and logic to say whether or not it could be done without a great deal of difficulty? Where to locate the new "suspend" switch if this proves feasible might be a challenge; I think I'd be inclined to rewire the "coast" function switch to do this instead. Selecting "suspend" then selecting "set" when the desired speed is reached should more than suffice to replace the "coast" function. Thanks.

-VG
    2003 Grand Marquis LS Premium White/Light Flint Leather - "Moby Dick". Box stock for now.

Couldn't you just hit - off - on - set ??
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

press off...

Comment

just tap the brake... you'd have to set up a button to switch the brake sensor anyhow so it's better to just tap the brake or press OFF.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

tap the brake to disengage. Press the "resume" button to resume your previously set speed. Press and hold the "coast" button to decel a little, release to have the system set the new speed as however fast you're going when you let go of the button. If they've modified the controls from how it was in the 80s and 90s, the "coast" function is the On button. Resume is it's own button, if that got deleted I don't know what to tell you.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks, but I've put 114K on my F250 with the same CC, so I do know how the controls work I typically use the CC as my throttle in lieu of the accelerator pedal when open road cruising - I'm guessing from the responses that you guys don't share that perversion... I don't like to tap the brake to suspend cruise for a number of reasons - it can cause a chain reaction of braking behind me, which contributes to the stupid "accordian" traffic pile-ups that drive me bat-shit, and if the reason for reducing speed is a radar trap, braking can draw unwanted extra attention. Usually the reason I need to suspend cruise is because I'm overtaking a slower car with no immediate opportunity to pass (2-lane highway. etc.) The speed decay using "coast" takes much too long. The "off", "on", "set" sequence requires two hands, is awkward, and requires using the accelerator to regain the previously set speed (not at all what a CC "resume" function should do). Yes, I'm extremely picky about this since I use it so much. What I want to be able to do is what I can do in non-Ford CC cars - press a single switch to suspend cruise, then press another adjacent single switch to resume the previously set speed. YMMV (but using cruise as I do, mine will almost certainly be better

-VG
            Last edited by VinnyG; 09-22-2011, 08:08 PM. Reason: clarification
            2003 Grand Marquis LS Premium White/Light Flint Leather - "Moby Dick". Box stock for now.

Comment

I use the hell outta my CC on the open road. Otherwise I'll be going well over 90 before long and not really notice. Speeding tickets suck, so I use the cruise. adding that feature you want, however, is rather more difficult than said. It would be easiest to make a switch that you could toggle that would trip the tail lights (the electronic release for the Ford CC systems) without actually touching the brake pedal, but if you want it on the wheel... that's going to be some serious custom fab. My foot generally rests near the brake when I'm using cruise anyhow... so tapping the brake is no issue for me and I still use the cruise quite a lot when I can (which is generally NOT in my area... only on trips).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Me too... especially since now I can actually use the accelerate button to accelerate! (since the SEFI conversion)... it is a nice feeling to not have to move the foot from where ever it is to change speed.
                I didn't know the newer cars didn't decelerate like letting your foot all the way off the gas... I could see how that would get annoying.
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Yeah, I guess I'm reconciled to using the brake pedal. I've always thought that ideally CC should have selectable presets for speed the way a car radio has presets for stations. It would suit my driving to a "T" if I had a one-button selector each for 55, 60, 70, & 75 MPH.

-VG

Comment

75 MPH!? Not only is that a dog on gas, but it's 10 MPH over the highest speed limit you'll find on an interstate... and moving fines/points double in 65 zones. X_X

But hey, half the drivers on the Parkway do 80 in the 65 MPH zones and 79.5 in the 55 MPH zones... so maybe you're just slick like that. I'll stick to doing 60. >.>
                    1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

You've never seen 70 or 75mph freeway speed limits? :confused: 70 is the standard freeway speed limit here in MI, and I recall I-94 and I-69 after they cross into Indiana being 75 for a period of time. Typical cruising speeds for drivers other than myself range anywhere from 80 to 100.
                      Last edited by 1987cp; 10-01-2011, 03:00 PM.
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

New Jersey is 65. other states have higher limits. NJ also doubles fines in 65 mph zones, but I don't believe other states do this. And nobody in this state actually does 65 in a 65. 65 means 75-80 unless you want to get run over. The Garden State Parkway should be called the Garden State Raceway. Turnpike isn't much better.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Texas has 70 on most highways.. outside of the cities that is. They're even talking about raising the limits on a few of the really long stretches out in west Texas. 65 seems to be the butter zone on my 88 and 93 (the 93 will change though once Scott is done with it). The Mark likes 55mph due to the 4.something gears in the ass. I'd really rather have 3.55 gears back there. It does move when you punch it though.

Comment

80 mph on I 10 west Texas, 75 on the 2 lanes. When you're passing, oncoming traffic comes on very, very fast.

Donald McCsig

Comment

so they did pass that already.
                              good to know.

Comment

Working...
                              X