coordinating sway bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coordinating sway bars

I do have a rear bar. I didn't measure, but it looks pretty small. The rear anti-sway is adequate, the car doesn't wallow at all. but if I were trying to achieve perfection, it could be a bit stiffer (I know, that's what she said I probably won't change this unless I need to do something else that involves rear suspension. My question is, if I went to a larger diameter rear bar on this car, would I need to increase the front sway bar diameter as well to keep the handling "balanced", or is the relationship not anywhere near that critical? Thanks.

-VG
    2003 Grand Marquis LS Premium White/Light Flint Leather - "Moby Dick". Box stock for now.

yeah... if you don't increase the front bar, it would tend to under steer more. Too much front bar will tend towards over-steer though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Pretty sure big front bars are more plentiful, since large hollow ones were used on wagons that were comparable in performance to the solid ones used on fleet models. So if you've got small bars front and back, getting a bigger front bar is probably the logical place to start.

Two out of two wagons I've owned came with no rear bar, FWIW.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

good advice for a box, but he's talking an 03.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

03s would be a little more difficult. Best bet? Go for Marauder stuff.

Comment

The rear bars are compatable from 92+. The Marauder bar is your first option; with an Addco one being your second.
            Always install new endlinks. Please!
            It will make the car handle better. That's for sure.
            The stock one is 17mm.
            You can put the rear one on without having too much of a problem.
            The front sway bars can only be 92-02, or 03+. If you do eventually do the front sway bar, you will need an alignment after.
            Good luck!!

-ryan s.
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Aren't the Marauder sway bars the same as the HPP bars?
              1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
              1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                good advice for a box, but he's talking an 03.
                What wiseacre created a late-model forum that doesn't have extra labels saying "box nerds, keep out", anyway?
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Thank you so much for the post. It's really informative!
                  Watch Paranormal Activity 3 Online Free

Watch Margin Call Online Free

Comment

Think I have a 01 PI front bar. If not can probaby get front and rear ones.
                    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                      If you do eventually do the front sway bar, you will need an alignment after.
                      No you won't.
                      1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

your front bar should always be stiffer than your rear. on the 85 i have no front bar and a solid PI rear bar (car is set up for drag racing) even with normal size front tires the car feels like it is going to fall over when turning at 10mph
                        http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                        http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

So on my non PI 03 MGM, the front bar looks pretty thick, the rear bar looks like someone ran a piece of wire and called it a sway bar. Is the Marauder front bar larger? Is the PI rear bar the same little skinniness?

Pete
                          For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                          1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                          1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                            yeah... if you don't increase the front bar, it would tend to under steer more. Too much front bar will tend towards over-steer though.
                            This is bass ackwards. Bigger front bar = more understeer, bigger rear bar = less understeer. Since the cars are balanced toward gross understeer from the factory, I don't see why a base front bar wouldn't work nicely with an HPP rear bar on an otherwise stock car.

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                            The stock one is 17mm.
                            You can put the rear one on without having too much of a problem.
                            The front sway bars can only be 92-02, or 03+.
                            HPP rear bar is 21mm. On the -02 cars, P71s got the 17mm bar so the HPP was the only vehicle with the bigger rear bar. I'm not sure what the offerings were on the 03+, but since 92+ is on the table for a rear bar I thought I'd throw it out there. Though irrelevant to the OP, front sway bars can be categorized as 92-94, 95-02, and 03+. The shape of the front bar changed along with the knuckle in '95.
                            1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

I noticed the front sway bar links on my 03 bolts to a different place than on my 97. The 03 bolts to the spindle behind the rotor, and the 97 bolts to the LCA (iirc). I'm not sure if it effects interchangability or not, just tossing it out there.

Pete
                              For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                              1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                              1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Working...
                              X