Police valve body shift kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police valve body shift kit?

Hey all, i tried doing a search with no avail, so i apologize if this is a repeat question. I'd like to put a shift kit in my 351 cop car with the AOD. Someone told me that the stock police valve body will not work with shift kits, is this true? Also semi related note does anyone have the procedure for adjusting the TV ROD, not cable, for the AOD? thanks!
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

the rod seems to be operated by putting a small flat screwdriver in the little notch of the threaded piece on the end of the rod. Basically turn one way for later shifts, another way for earlier. It's quite nice, as long as you're not right on either end of the adjustment you should be safe and it allows for very fine adjustment. I couldn't dig up a pic but if you can source one I could explain better.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

ahhh i will check it out! that does sound nice, I know what i'll be doing sometime this week
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

there are actually 2 adjustment points on the rod. Coarse adjustment is down near the trans. theres a clevis block thing that you can loosen the bolt on and slide the rod. The screw adjustment up top is more of a fine tuning thing. I wouldn't mess with the one down below unless the screw is way at either end of it's range though.

http://www.txchange.com/aodadj.htm has some stuff about counting the turns, dunno about all that unless the current setting is really screwed up.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Supposedly new civvie valvebodies are close to $200 (hearsay, haven't checked myself). If that's true, add anywhere from $40ish to $100+ for a shift kit, plus the time or cost for installation. At that point, it might be worth asking P72Ford what he thinks of his SilverFox SPT custom valvebody. IIRC, the basic one is about $270 shipped, it's supposed to solve the ever-irritating AOD behavior of shifting hard at part throttle and soft at heavy throttle, and even includes a little screw for adjusting your actual WOT shift points a few hundred RPM on either side of whatever your governor dictates (figure in $25 plus handling for the TransGo AOD-HIREV governor kit, most likely).
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I have a Transgo kit that i would sell for 75 + shipping. I ended up with a Lentec valve body in my modified AOD.
            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Thanks for the link Thain. I think i'd rather go with the shift kit rather than a valve body just due to the milage and condition of the tranny, Turbo, i was considering Transgo so i will get back to you on that one!

No one knows if the police valvebody is different though??
              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

I've heard rumors that normal shift kits don't work with the PRNOD2 valvebody. Absolutely no idea why or if it's true. Might be more true of some shift kits than others.

Comment

Apparently the Transgo is only for 84 and up trannys

http://transgoonline.com/products.ph...dcountview=Yes
                  -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                    Apparently the Transgo is only for 84 and up trannys

http://transgoonline.com/products.ph...dcountview=Yes
                    Time for an upgrade...

Comment

Anyone know what changed in '84? Was that when that one plunger moved from the case to the VB or vice versa?

Comment

Is there reason to believe the panther changeover year was the same as mustang?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I had a B&M shift improver in the old P72. When the trans shop rebuilt it, they said the B&M and the planned Trans-Go they wanted to put in were both incompatible with the P72 valvebody, so they put in a PRNODD1 valvebody. Change the valvebody. I had no use for a 2nd gear start especially with the original 2.73 RAR.

Comment

my second gear start doesn't even seem to function...it still starts out in 1st when i put it in the "2" position

I do get some shift flair when it shifts from 3rd to overdrive...makes me wonder if it's even worth it, or if perhaps a different valvebody with a shift kit would fix this isssue?
                            -Phil

sigpic

Comment

pi valve bodies do not like shift kits......brian did one to nates p72 and it made things worse, neither of us knew at the time

if i were you i would run that one till it's dead and then harvest a 89+ aod for rebuilding

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                              X