WTB 1990 or 1991 stock grand marquis instrument cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB 1990 or 1991 stock grand marquis instrument cluster

Fuel gauge is misbehaving in such a strange fashion that it has to be the gauge itself.
    Just discovered that the feedback from the sending unit is completely reversed in 1990, from 1989: 1989 has high resistance empty and low resistance full, 1990 has high resistance full and low empty.
    I doubt then that an earlier instrument cluster will work correctly.

Please let me know! Just looking for stock; maybe you upgraded yours to a PI and still have it
    Not that I ever go faster than 85mph anyway, so...

90-91 CV instrument clusters are the same and will interchange.
    79-89 CV instrument clusters are the same and will interchange.

But you'll never get an 89 cluster in a 90, or a 90 cluster in an 89.

Please somebody, tell me if I'm wrong!

If you're looking for a PI cluster, either 89 style or 90-91 style, let me know, I've got both!!

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
      1. 90-91 CV instrument clusters are the same and will interchange.
      2.79-89 CV instrument clusters are the same and will interchange.

3. But you'll never get an 89 cluster in a 90, or a 90 cluster in an 89.

4. Please somebody, tell me if I'm wrong!

5. If you're looking for a PI cluster, either 89 style or 90-91 style, let me know, I've got both!!
      1. Correct
      2. Correct
      3. Unless you swap dash and such or come up with some extremely custom fabrications... Correct
      4. You're right!
      5. Hooray!!!

Comment

Oh, so the geometries don't even fit together either? Hah! Thanks for the forewarning. I guess I'd always assumed 1986-1991 were all of one type and interchangeable in every way, so the 1989 electrical manual threw me.

I did figure out that the fuel gauge at least would be rather crazy if I mixed them up! It would show empty to full. Hmm, actually, gives me a hilarious idea for a prank if I cared enough to trouble with it: take apart a sending unit and flip the variable resistance around, if possible to kludge it, so that their fuel gauge climbed from empty to full as they used up their tank.

Well, no real objections to a PI cluster. What's different on it? Just speedometer? I've already said I've got a 1990, so it'd have to be that one.
        What are you asking for it? Shipped to 21204: which is Baltimore, MD. Known to work alright?
        Maybe give me a shout at 4108029014! Wouldn't mind a working fuel gauge sooner than later ;-)
        Last edited by BerniniCaCO3; 10-01-2011, 01:44 AM.

Comment

I got a stock canadian vic cluster....fuel gauge is questionable though.
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I got a 92' Marquis cluster with the horizontal sweep. It's a metric one as well. Fuel gauge worked on it. I swapped it for a 91' police cluster. Pay for shipping and you can have it.

Comment

Already got a '90 PI
              I didn't even consider that '92 might have fit... right, 'cause the wagon was 90-91, but when did the grand marquis sedan go up to until the next major dash design?

Comment

94 was the last year for box body dash in a Marquis.

Comment

Working...
                X