clunking/grinding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clunking/grinding

I was driving the TC today and when it hits about 45 it makes that sound, I think it's when it's shifting into 4th gear. When I put the shifter in regular drive so it doesn't have 4th, it doesn't seem to make the sound. It's not as bad as my old Vic when it would just miss 4th completely and never get into that gear, but the sound is concerning at the very least.

I'm gonna take it to a shop tuesday to have the tranny fluid and filter changed since it needs it, hoping that helps but the problem is probably deeper than that.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

They clunk into overdrive... That's normal operation of the aod...

Comment

AODs are clunky. If the trans mount is shot or if the U joints are sloppy, they clunk worse though.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah... shouldn't be a clunk when it shifts... just a bit of a kick in the ass so to speak (jar the car a bit). If there's an audible clunk of metal... something needs attention. I've got the "A" solenoid and band in my AOD and it kicks like a mule if you ease it into OD at about 47mph... but nothing clunks.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
          yeah... shouldn't be a clunk when it shifts... just a bit of a kick in the ass so to speak (jar the car a bit). If there's an audible clunk of metal... something needs attention. I've got the "A" solenoid and band in my AOD and it kicks like a mule if you ease it into OD at about 47mph... but nothing clunks.
          It clunks. The Mark VII guys have been bitching about them since they were new...

Comment

a properly working aod will clunk into 4th gear under light throttle

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
              a properly working stock aod will clunk into 4th gear under light throttle
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I think of it as more of a lurch than a clunk. I've never heard the actual shift to call it a clunk. the shift kit I have in my 88 now does make it kick like a mule though... that and the HD parts.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

It's actually more of a grinding, like when you're trying to shift a manual into a gear and the engine speed isn't quite right, so it grinds. Or like when trying to shift a manual without the clutch at all, sounds like gears grinding. I'm about to take it to have the tranny fluid and filter changed, i'll have them check the pan and fluid for metal deposits to make sure nothing is too bad.

Comment

.... not good. slush boxes should NEVER sound like that. You're looking at a serious rebuild... probably complete set of gears. You may luck out and it's just the clutches completely roasted and metal on metal... but keep in mind... it may be a serious rebuild.

Comment

If it needs a rebuild, i'll treat it like my old Vic and not use overdrive at all.

Comment

that's probably what you'll need to do then. As long as it's JUST od that does it... it's probably the solenoid/band that needs replacing. If that's all... the rebuild may not be that bad depending on the shop. But it will probably run $500 at least.

Comment

My old stock AOD would do the Clunk/Rhythmic Vibration thing when shifting into OD at 1/4 throttle. With the throttle down any further it wouldn't clunk into OD, and would shift smoothly. My current rebuilt AOD w/ 50K on it is doesn't clunk into overdrive regardless of throttle position, and is smooth as butter all the way through its gears, you can barely even feel it shifting. Which is how I like it to be in a Luxo Ride.

Comment

grinding may well be U joints. It should definitely not do that.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The collection of metal in the trans pan will tell you....

Comment

Working...
                              X